Cordless electric shaver blade sharpening

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slinger

Established Member
Reaction score
No, it is not another sharpening thread, but has anyone ever tried to sharpen the circular blades on a Philips Shaver model P/T 720. The razor cost new £45 some 2 years ago & it is recommended a blade/new head change after every 2 years, but the price is some £30 which at 66% of the original purchase price appears to be very excessive. I know there are some tips on the web, but I would prefer advice from someone who has actually done the sharpening. I have always found Philips to be an excellent manufacture, but the consumable price of a new head seems out of kilter with the original purchase price. No, after some 40 years of having a full beard, I can no longer do a wet shave (more's the pity). Cheers & a Happy & Healthy New Year to all our 'readers'.
Slinger

Can't wet shave either :-(

I have a couple of the Philips cheap AA-celled ones. I think they are designed so that one blade abrades on the other (rotor against the outer slotted ring). There's no doubt the rotors on mine have an attack angle, but I think the 'frog angle' is the same as the bevel.

You ( well, I) might try just moving the rotor around gently in circles on a fine grade bit of wet+dry stuck to glass or MDF, similar to scary sharp.

To be honest I've had mine (one plus a spare) for five years or more (about 15 quid in Boots, still available, I think), and they haven't needed sharpening so far. I clean/sterilise/degrease them regularly using surgical spirit, but otherwise use no lubricants or anything. I'll have a look with a hand lens to see what state the cutters are in...

My Philishave is over 15 years old & used every day. The motor just seems to keep on going.

All I do with mine is bung the complete head in with the washing up once a week, then split it into the component parts & give each a quick once over with an old toothbrush. I keep each cutter set in their respective pairs as I was once told by my brother-in-law who sold white goods & electricals, that they bedded themselves in & didn't like being mixed. Could be just an urban myth of course but it seems to have worked for me.

Back