Corbels

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tim

Established Member
Reaction score
I am making a kitchen (painted) for a client. I need to make three shelves (over a couple of windows and as a mantel for a range). They don't want overly ornate corbels but do want something with a bit of stature. It looks like I may therefore be better off making them since I can't find plain ones anywhere.

Can anyone suggest a quick and dirty way to make some. dims probably c 200mmx100x 100 (lxwxd).

Thanks

Tim

Tim,
I would make up the necessary material blanks with glued poplar sections rather than say MDF because some decorative elements presumably need to be cut or carved somewhere, even if they don't want them to be too ornate. I would bandsaw the main profile, keeping to a simple curve(s) then run a largish corner bead up each side using an appropriate router bit, or a scratchstock. You could leave the tops (capital bits) as a square section to receive say a rosette on the sides, if you have a suitable cutter (usually for the drill press).

tim":3gkhy47b said:
I am making a kitchen (painted) for a client. I need to make three shelves (over a couple of windows and as a mantel for a range). They don't want overly ornate corbels but do want something with a bit of stature. It looks like I may therefore be better off making them since I can't find plain ones anywhere.

Can anyone suggest a quick and dirty way to make some. dims probably c 200mmx100x 100 (lxwxd).

Thanks

Tim

Hi Tim
I have made a few suitable for a fireplace surround but how do I post an Image????
Tom

Back