Coping saw blades?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WoodAddict

Established Member
Reaction score
Any recommendation?

I've got a Bahco coping saw the same as This one and the blade in it is terrible. I cut some fingers joints at the weekend and they are not good at all (a lot do with my lack of practice) but the blade felt very soft and the teeth were ripping rather than cutting cleanly. What's your general thoughts on make of blade and TPI for cutting fingers/dovetails in hardwood?

TIA

Hi, WoodAddict

Well you are using the wrong tool for a start coping saws are not for cutting straight lines. The main problem is the lack of tension in the blade I made a bowsaw that uses coping saw blades, you can put loads of tension on the blade and it will cut where you want it to go.

This is it
DSCF0039.jpg

And this is what you can do with it
DSC_0194.jpg

I would use a tenon saw rough out the waste and chisel to the line.

Pete

Thanks for the replies.

Tool choice may be my problem then :oops: I cut the sides of the fingers with a tenon saw down to the line and used a coping saw to cut across the line. I'll have a bit more practice using chisels and the tenon saw. If I can't get good results then I'll have a look at the gents saw's. The bow saw looks nice but a little much I think for the use it will get from me.

Thanks again

I'd use a piercing saw for removal of the waste from dovetails, having a much finer cut, but if you're after decent coping saw blades then the original 'Eclipse' ones take some beating - Rob

I use a coping saw for doing this and agree with Rob about the Eclipse ones being good ,use as light pressure as you can and let the saw do the work.
PS....lovely little bowsaw Pete ,i have a couple of larger ones and now i have another on the to do list :D

I use the bahco replacements from axminster for both coping and piercings saws (I used piercing saw blades in a groz frame for use on dovetails). I also have the spiral cutting blades from workshop heaven (also bahco) and use these with a degree of success.

Hi, squib

Thanks, curvy like a good woman :wink:

Pete

Back