Cope and drag

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

antifoul2020

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi
Would anyone be able to help with sizes
Going to try my hand at casting aluminium
Cope and drag are the top and bottom boxes
All advice most welcome

look on utube for a guy called "doubleboost"
he's done loads and very practical....
there are others....I hope to be doing that one day soon....

Search too for "tubalcain foundry videos" He talks a lot of sense.

Can't comment on sizes. It depends on what size castings you want to make. I cast handbells - I need around 50mm between the pattern and the side of my (wooden) moulds - and around that depth top and bottom (this for a 100mm diameter bell).

Choose your mould sand. If it is something small and detailed, you'll need oil-based sand. Otherwise standard green sand* is fine. I've experimented with home-made sand with fine silver sand from the builders merchant and Fuller's Earth (ie cat litter), but, with all the time and effort you'll spend, go get some proper stuff!

* It's actually bright red!

Aluminium is relatively easy to pour. Brass is a bit gloopier - you need to pay more attention to the sprue - and making a bottom-entry channel is better. Bell metal is a pig to pour - and tends to mess up your crucible big time!

What are you using as a furnace? There are quite a lot of VERY significant safety issues there. DON'T get over-enthused by a number of those gung-ho American (usually) self-build furnaces! Be careful!

If you are new to all this, can I recommend Art and Emma? Artisan Foundry Shop He knows his stuff, runs really helpful courses and sells materials in sane quantities.

Latest posts

Back