Constructing Interior Doors

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a house full of odd doors but with the ground floor being full of originals, I bought the freud set to make new ones to match, and it is wonderful , produces 2.5 " tenons and very easy to get great doors at your own custom sizes (I have 5 sizes of door to make)

The set was a bit pricey but saved me a packet

http://www.amazon.com/Freud-99-268-Inte ... 473&sr=8-3

Great DVD showing you how to do it

That set looks really good. I have been making my own doors with through tenons etc. The cutting the mitre for the rails is a bit of a knack and very easy to get wrong. I have some wip to put up but its interesting to see all the different ways people have approached it.
I have a spindle moulder and that has really speeded up the process but it is well worth making a rod to help set it all out. It can be tricky getting the measurements right with the mouldings.
Well worth having a go at.
I think its much nicer to have raised panels but then again it cost dependent and style reliant.
Owen

jedmc571":2svsy51l said:
Hello,

I'm deliberating a number of different projects at home at the moment, I've recently made new skirt and architrave just plain square edge, it's been moderately enjoyable, but all that priming/sanding etc got a bit tedious..............Anyway! I have been pricing up new doors, of which Ii need 10, my question is, do you think it's cost effective to construct your own doors? I would love Oak ones, doesn't have to be solid, I like the idea of the stability of Veneered material, but want to keep the weight down.

My design would be straight forward, stile & rail, with an infill panel almost like a shaker door.

If anyone has any ideas, I'd love to hear them.

My follow on question would then be, if their is anyone near Chester, with the time and equiptment to consider such project, I would like to hear your ideas.

Chances are, it's not financially viable? but I thought it was worth a try, after all, if it was cheaper to buy everything, we wouldn't bother making anything ourselves :)

JFC - Great to see your work again.

Jedmc571 - I've thought about this, but when you see solid oak, Victorianesque doors in Wickes for about £69 and compare with the time available (suits me because of my period home). Having said that, they are from China and I can't see them on their website now, so perhaps the global credit crunch will make DIY doors a necessity.

Back