Console Table

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DIY Stew

Established Member
Reaction score
Here are some pictures of a console table I have made for my wife, its made from pine and spruce for several reasons,
1 SWMBO wants a 'painted well worn finish'
2 It cost less than a night out
3 I lack the confidence to work with expensive timbers incase of costly mistakes.

The shelf is supported by two lengths of threaded rod which also helped when glueing up as a didn't have enough sash cramps.

The drawer has narrow hardwood edges which I believe are a swedish idea called NK, as the runners are spruce I have not glued them in place so when there worn I can easily replace them.

It has taken me a very long time to make because I have to work with my trusty old B&D workmate on the drive as my garage/workshop is full of tools I have bought over the years, and also I cant work when the wifes in bed on nights.

Please see my post in Finishing Advice as i am not certain how to achieve the finish she wants (all advice greatly received)

Thanks for looking

Stew :D

Attachments

• IMG_1951.jpg
    IMG_1951.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 882
  • IMG_1952.jpg
    IMG_1952.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 882
  • IMG_1953.jpg
    IMG_1953.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 882
DIY Stew":1quv63if said:
1 SWMBO wants a 'painted well worn finish'

Ahh.......the ol' 'distressed' look, hmm, I dont know, I have my own opinions on that and to be honest I think you'd be doing your table a disservice to paint it and then make it worn and tired looking, but, thats just my thoughts. Nice job though and I like the handle grab rather than a run of the mill knob, nice touch! :wink:

Thanks for your kind comments, Chems, the dovetails..........eh they were cut on a sip dovetail jig although I did have to trim them a little as they were very tight! :lol:

Thats a nice project Stew, as for finish have you seen the colour range of Farrow and Ball paints-some very classic tones, I would be reluctant to make the base coat black-might be a bit stark once the topcoat has been bashed up a bit, that Salvager guy off the telly did a wardrobe and he had a touch of red and blue as base layers-it turned out not all that bad in the end-but he lives in an old French farmhouse and his wardrobe blended in with its surroundings, good luck with the finish, cant wait to see the finale :)

Back