Console table

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edmund

Established Member
Reaction score
Finished my console table (and drawers!) at last.

http://www.filehigh.com/viewgallery.php?f=22036

I'm quite pleased with how this has ended up as I designed it from scratch and wanted to do some traditional carcass work and drawers - neither of which I have done before.

I designed the table to fit in a particular space in my entrance hall - the full picture makes it look rather tall and unbalanced but it works better in the flesh so to speak as I designed it to fit under the dado rail.

The carcass and drawer fronts are black walnut. The drawer sides and backs are oak and the bottoms are cedar. The inlay on the drawer front is ebony (3.4mm square lines). The drawer knobs are ebony, which I turned myself to a non pre-planned design. The top was a bit of a departure and is tropical black granite (which I rather like and it fascinating to look at in detail); I think it works reasonable well with the piece.

Carcass size is 35" wide by 11" deep and 33.5" high. The granite is 1" thick.

I finished the piece with shellac then wax.

Interestingly, after I started making this I changed job and my new route to work takes me past some amazing antique shops. One of the pieces in the window was a console table. It had a pink marble top and a mahogany carcass with the front legs carved in the form of seated greyhounds. I found out it was made in the late 18th century for one of the palaces in Venice. There was a pair of them and they were £80,000 each! :shock: Don't think I'm quite up to that yet :)

Ed

Johnboy":1dvfxp74 said:
How is the top attached?

It's just placed on the carcass but I've epoxied some wooden strips/blocks to the underside which rest against the front/back rails and side/middle kickers. I had contemplated screwing them as well but I didn't think it was necessary. I asked the granite supplier what they do for work surfaces and they just place the tops on a bead of silicone.

Paul Chapman":1dvfxp74 said:
I don't reckon you'd get more than £79,000 for yours
I think that would be Italian lira for me :D

Edmund,
Very nice. I can imagine that marble top is quite heavy and must have been quite testing to position.

Andy

Paul Chapman":1l28thq4 said:
Very nice, Edmund =D> but I don't reckon you'd get more than £79,000 for yours :roll:

Paul

Oh I don't know, stick around for 300 years and see what happens :wink:

seriously though, very nice work indeed Edmund.

Mark

Really nice been building something at evening class but nowhere near as classy as that. Love the inlays in the drawers fronts sets it off a treat.

Thanks for the appreciative feedback.

The joinery was quite instructive (all done by hand I'm proud to say) as it showed have closely fitting it needed to be - some of the dovetails for the carcass aprons ended up with a bit of slop. All good practice though.

E

Latest posts

Back