Considering dipping toe into 3d printing so what do you think of this one?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As far as I'm concerned Creativity are a no go, cutting costs to deliver poorer quality versions.

Are you looking at printing in ABS/ASA? PLA doesn't require an enclosure but ABS/ASA will.

There's also Bambu Lab P1S @ £639 is you don't add the AMS (TBH I'd buy with it) if you need enclosed.

I picked up a Neptune 4 and it's been perfect, though not enclosed, at a fraction of the price of either of the other 2. I use it to print mounts, hose adaptors and even a flexible hose for my pillar drill.

Excellent tool for any workshop, it can chunter away in the background while you do other things.

I am with @ScaredyCat and would also avoid anything from Creality unless you are more into 3D printers than 3D printing.

Are you sure you need the K1 bed size? A smaller bed size means smaller prints in one go, but modern slicers allow you to cut bigger models into parts and join them quite conveniently.

In my humble opinion, for beginners, the best 3D printer by far is the Bambu A1 mini. No other brands come close at the moment.
They dropped the price recently to £229.00.

If you wait 6 months or so, there will undoubtedly be better models available, but as of today, the A1 mini wins hands down.

Purchasing a 3D printer seldom ends with the first model you get your hands on. You could start with the A1 mini, use it for a while to understand the process and your needs, and then pass it down to a younger generation when you purchase a bigger and better model 6 to 12 months later.

Bamboo, Qidi and FlashForge have some decent printers. Bamboo lab are probably the better quality.

I have 2 of the FlashForge Adventurer 5M pros which I am happy with.

Thanks for your info.
I'm into cnc router and laser and have both, so do you think that will give me a head start?
As for passing down to younger member, don't have them, never wanted them, don't like them either 🤣🤣 I'm the perverbial evil uncle and that's fine with me 🤣🤣🤣

I'm into cnc router and laser and have both, so do you think that will give me a head start?
If you use any sort of CAD then it will definitely help you In terms of creating your own models for 3D printing.

Biggest change from laser/CNC is going to be getting used to filament/temperature/flow/support/speed/bed-leveling, etc settings and their relation to failed prints. This is where Bambu printers shine - there is a lot of thought given to automation and usability - which makes them almost a "plug and play" appliance.

As for passing down to younger member, don't have them, never wanted them, don't like them either 🤣🤣 I'm the perverbial evil uncle and that's fine with me 🤣🤣🤣
Excellent. So when you decide to upgrade and give away your first 3D printer, you will become the evil uncle bearing gifts.

Excellent. So when you decide to upgrade and give away your first 3D printer, you will become the evil uncle bearing gifts...
No chance, more likely to offer it FTAGH on here 🤣🤣🤣🤣

I bought a FlashForge 3 Pro a few years ago. It is enclosed and it can print PLA and ABS. Build dimensions are 150mm in all directions. Very good printer if you don't need to go beyond 150mm. It is wireless so CAD models can be loaded without wires. I use Tinkercad for the basic stuff and FreeCad 21 for the more complex items. Between the two I can make any dust ports that I need.

If your budget extends to, I would go for a entry-level Prusa printer. They are by far the best engineered 3-D printers on the market, despite the newer bambu printers that operation have come on the market late last year in early this year which are very good but if you want to do any type of tinkering then the bambu is a no go printer really and you will be better off having the Prusea or the one that you've chosen.

There is a huge amount of snobbery over 3-D printers which to be honest i brutal, tough, very tight, woven, plastic wires not needed they are what they are and pretty much any printer under €1000 is going to give mixed results. Y

You can improve the results by tweaking the printer to the 8th° and learning how to use your slicing software properly, but you will never come out with an injection moulded type product you will always have lines and glitches and so on.

3-D printers are here to stay an in reality ary well-known make will do, despite what people on here say you can buy one of the cheapest Creality's now for about €99 and it will get you on the ladder for printing in 3-D . You can tweak that printer and you can come up with some excellent results and the new models coming onto the market now are far better than the old Enders from 3 or 4 years ago

It really depends what you want to print. Most people print with PLA hardly anybody I know prints with nylon some print with ABS but most print with PLA and in fact, PLA is actually stronger than ABS, It's just the ABS will give you a nice shiny finish if you dip it in acetone afterwards or put it in a acetone vapour bath you cannot do that with PLA, although there are some newer PLA coming onto the market that are far better and you areabletosmooth them. I always feel anything you print for the 3-D printer that is based is only the first part of a finished model and it will require some form of work be for cosplay or just looking at a shelf. You cannot expect it to be perfect because of the way it is made printed with lines and CNC machine going backwards and forwards and up-and-down. There will always be lines. What matters is how you make those lines, smaller and thinner and prettier and that comes with a very good quality machine, but incredible work with your slicing software and the original design of the product it all matters including down to keeping your filament dry. Actions

If you don't want to tinker with the machine and have no interest in that and only want the end result then I would go for the bambu A1 with AMS that will give you a four colour printer and you'll be able to print pretty much anything with that very fast and with high-quality, they bought out a small one which is called the mini A1 and they have the standard A1. If budget allows go for that one but make sure you get the AMS. It does create a lot of waste but you can once you know how to use the software use a lot of that waste in infill until you do so, you will end up with a box of rubbish at the end of each print that you basically just put in your plastic recycling.

I've seen some exceptional results from that printer and having used 3-D printers for the last eight years. I haven't found another printer in that price range that can print anything like the bambu models apart from a Prusa in good hands, but that really is a high end printer for people who are happy to tinker and spend a lot more time on getting their settings right and the quality of a Prusa is 2nd to none which is why they are expensive for what they are.

The other thing maybe to think about is, do you actually want a FDM printer or would you prefer a resin printer I use both and they both have a place. In fact I prefer the resin printer. The only issue with that is the size of the bed which is a lot smaller, but I make lots of parts for CNC machines that I build for clients and I print these using the resin printer and they come out almost as good as injection moulded parts to be quite frank, it's always amazing seeing how these damn resin printers work because it literally grows from nothing like Excalibur coming out of the Lake.

Personally, I would not be without a printer in my house now I regularly print items at least 3 to 4 times a week minimum, although most of that is for my CNC's that I build , but if my wife asked me do I have such and such or can I fix that or I need to do this and can you think of a way of doing it easier normally it involves me grabbing my 3-D software and probably printing a template or something and I would not like to go back to not having the machine, especially being a woodworker and CNC machine builder be it a laser plasma or mill I build them all. I find them so valuable in my daily work and personal life now. They always seem to be doing something

I have one resin printer, and three FDM ( 1 Prusa) short printers of which one is a IDEX ( dual extruder) and are used for replicating parts very easily.

Feel free to shout if you need any more advice, if your not familiar with CAD then use Tinkercad to start with as its Fusion 360's little brother , For slicing use Prusa slicer, Simplfi3D, Cura or Bambu's own if you go that route. Apex

Last edited:
As someone who has spent the last few years looking into this and finally clicked ‘BUY’ before Easter, here’s my thoughts having had a Creality CR10SE delivered yesterday and spent the last 24hrs printing like mad;

There’s broadly three issues with 3D printing/CNC.

1 Design: Unless you’re just going to download other people’s work you’ll need to learn 3D CAD. That’s the hard bit and needs a lot of effort, but there are some great tutorials on YouTube to help.

2 Preparation: You’ll need to understand how to prepare a 3D CAD file for printing/CNC. Slicing/driving software has a huge range of options, many of which can make massive differences in the success of outcomes. The implications of some won’t be clear until you’ve used them (and got it wrong).

3. Using/configuring the actual hardware and firmware.
Most of the sub £1k kit is built down to a price and you’ll have to get involved with making it work and sorting out problems with hardware and software. Nothing too crazy, but you will need some mechanical sympathy and the ability to work through software issues.

Do you research and find out what might go wrong with any kit you’re considering, if the manufacturer is helpful solving issues and where you might get peer support.

I spent time learning Tinkercad and Fusion 360, so I have some basic CAD skills now.
I downloaded all the slicer software in advance and dug into all the options of each possible package to have an idea of what I was up against.
I bought a Creality printer. Yes, their quality control isn’t perfect, but there’s a huge community of help and tutorials available.
On delivery I had a list of items to check before powering up and had read and watched all the ‘how to build it’ videos. Yes, a connector needed re-seating after the first hour of use, but all’s been well after that.
Still a lot to learn, but I doubt you’d see much difference in a print from a printer three times the price from the prints I made today.

Back