Conservatory Flashing

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveF

Established Member
Reaction score
We have had a few leaks over past month
it is a standard conservatory about 10 years old
the flashing has come away from the house wall
it was not cut into the mortar
plastic roof
how do i get up there to fix it please?
or do i just call the experts in ?

if the latter then can anyone recommend in maidstone kent area

Steve

Steve

I would suspect if you get the experts in then if possible they will scaffold over the conservatory so they can get to the lead flashing. Is that not something you could do?

I've been chasing a few leaks in my conservatory this year, although I'm not surprised with the weather we've been having. My conservatory is 18 years old with sloping roof and the panels down to the floor. I've decided to take it down in the summer, build a half we all and put a new one up with a pitched roof.
They don't last forever and as I'm just 65 I think this is the time to put the new one in.

Good luck with your repairs.

Don't forget that the regs for conservatory's has changed, no longer a requirement for 75% clear material for roof covering - gives some interesting re-roofing potential.

i did post before about possible putting a solid roof on

i not sure i could live with the leaks until summer to consider that

they couldn't get a tower over top of conservatory as it next to wall and shed the other side

this is sounding expensive for a small fix...which i could possibly do if i could get at it

Steve

Flash banding would make for a cheap easy but temporary fix. Dry the wall first with a blow torch and press it on with very light heat from the torch dont go mad as it will just melt.If the roof is a lean to scaffolding boards over the rafters will be ok to work off.
When the weathers kinder ,chasing in lead flashing would be the way to go

Bern

If you can find it butyl flashing strip should sort it out for a while. Like 5 years if you can do it well....

Fladhband is bitumen based and doesn't stick very well to porous surfaces even if you can use the primer....

Proper lead flashing tucked in to the wall 25mm is a proper job.....

Rather than giving "blind" advice, Any chance of some pics of wall and cons?

kostello":3gcfckoa said:
Ps pretty much every roof I've seen is safe to walk/crawl on carefully but you have to get over the fear.....
Oh and remember my advice might be worth hat it cost:)
When I had one blown roof pane replaced the guys fitting it literally crawled up the adjoining one. Whilst he was only normal build he must have weighed 12 or 13 stone and he had no fear of using it as a means of access.

Phil

SteveF":2o4rl7d3 said:
thanks all

i will send the girlfriend up there

she is lighter than me :D

Steve

Girlfriend FLASHING on conservatory roof ,the neigh boughs are in for a treat :mrgreen:

cheers Bern :D

DO NOT put any weight on polycarbonate, it will simply fold underneath you. If your conservatory has a pitched roof and is not glass it will be polycarbonate. These sheets are removable the same way that a double glazed unit is. If you can take the ones out closest to the wall you can get a ladder up from the inside and re-bed the flashing then re-fit the sheets, making good the flashing from a ladder outside.

If your conservatory has an almost flat roof then it will (should) have a 50mm thick roof with aluminium ribs (Everlite/Ultralite or various other similar products). This should be weight bearing (designed to carry a snow load). However it is wise to use a crawling board of some sort to spread your weight. I always wonder about the integrity of the wall plate and would usually put a prop under the inside of the roof with a board across the width just in case it's not fixed very well where it meets the house.

Grayorm":3vj0gwol said:
DO NOT put any weight on polycarbonate, it will simply fold underneath you. If your conservatory has a pitched roof and is not glass it will be polycarbonate. These sheets are removable the same way that a double glazed unit is. If you can take the ones out closest to the wall you can get a ladder up from the inside and re-bed the flashing then re-fit the sheets, making good the flashing from a ladder outside.

If your conservatory has an almost flat roof then it will (should) have a 50mm thick roof with aluminium ribs (Everlite/Ultralite or various other similar products). This should be weight bearing (designed to carry a snow load). However it is wise to use a crawling board of some sort to spread your weight. I always wonder about the integrity of the wall plate and would usually put a prop under the inside of the roof with a board across the width just in case it's not fixed very well where it meets the house.

This is why I asked for some pics, so we know type shape, mats height, work space etc.
If you have a blue Ultralite roof do not attempt any work without some sort of cover over it, they become very brittle and fail under moderate localised pressure: put your hand on it , it breaks.
We avoid repair work on them or quote to replace all roof sheets, they're dung€, not really fit for purpose after 1 yr.

sorry I forgot all about the conservatory :oops:

no I havent looked at it again

thanks for reminding me

it hasnt leaked since

guess wind blowing wrong way

it is a must do job...I will take some pics at the weekend

Steve

If you're stuck Steve, give me a shout. I'll come and do the job if you get materials for the cost of fuel and a Premier Inn plus a few bevvies.

Back