Cone Pulley Question

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CRAFTY

Established Member
Reaction score
homemade timber lathe,i was going to put cone pulleys on the lathe with 3 speeds,but i have just realized i may not need to as i will be fitting a speed controller,so is there any point in fitting cone pulleys,if i still need to ,what sizes should they be,they look to be about 4"/3"/2" or maybe a little bigger,if i do not need them? how big should i make the wheel? 4"??? thanks :D

ok thanks for the input,i just don't like the thought of the motor running constantly at full power,even with the wheels,this motor is fairly powerful ya know,i think i will put a speed controller on it to be safe,so i will put 3 gears on also,i like that idea anyway,thanks :D

What type of motor are you talking about?

To control the speed of a mains powered motor it normally needs to be one of two types.

1. A universal ac/dc (brushed) unit fed from a triac controller or in very crude conditions a variable resistor.
Or
2. A 3 phase induction unit supplied from an electronic invertor.

The alternate would be a modern DC permanent magnet unit driven through an appropriate electronic controller.

You can't control the speed of a single phase motor and get any meaningful power out of it, attempts to slow one down can cause it to rapidly overheat if it does not blow the supply fuse.

hay thanks for the reply,i searched all the shops in my area,the last shop i checked had a few sizes,was worn out at that stage so i just brought home two 25mm,to see if my plan was going to work,and i am about to go find out,i have two motors,one universal with brushes,fairly powerfull which i intend to use for the lathe,and one without brushes,i think is from a dryer,nowhere near the power of the other, i have a place not to far to order what i need if this does not work out,be back later with hopefully a good result,cheers for now.

CRAFTY":28j7livx said:
hay thanks for the reply,i searched all the shops in my area,the last shop i checked had a few sizes,was worn out at that stage so i just brought home two 25mm,to see if my plan was going to work,and i am about to go find out,i have two motors,one universal with brushes,fairly powerfull which i intend to use for the lathe,and one without brushes,i think is from a dryer,nowhere near the power of the other, i have a place not to far to order what i need if this does not work out,be back later with hopefully a good result,cheers for now.

Any chance of a few photos of the wip?

well how's it going,yes i will throw one or two up tomorrow as i can't find my phone for photo's only, it takes ages to upload a photo with the other phone for some reason,i only started it yesterday so not really ready for pics,although i could have all the timber work done tomorrow as i got the guts of the base done today,if i had a table saw i would be nearly done now ha
UP THE DUB'S (hammer)

Latest posts

Back