Condensation within window panes,

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whoops!

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,
Well I've browsed this forum enough and now Has come the time to ask...
I'm making a brace of window frames to sit inside pre-existing windows, the people want a cheaper form of double glazing. All is well and good with the construction side of things, they're all stacked and ready. However I have warned them of the likely problem of condensation within the two frames. I live in france and the temperature can drop to -10c Or up to 45c. Does anyone have any suggestions? I have used sapele as the lengths of the frames are 2metres b 1metre, I am linseeding the frames, and have run a groove along the bottom rail for water collection and I have drilled some run off holes. Somehow I dont think this is going to be enough. mmmmhelp please.
Decklan

Trickle vents in the top of both sets of windows , sort of defeats the object of secondary glazing but should stop it .

thanks for that, I'm hoping that the size of the holes will be small enough that it wont make much of a difference. Well hope springs eternal.
Decklan

Funnily enough the house owners have been on the search for silica sachets, but things like that are a bit scarce in the french countryside. I did have a moment of thinking that perhaps I could hinge a small section of the lower rail to enable access, but then it all started to get complicated ( as they always do...)
But this gel stuff, how does that work and where is it available?? thanks
Decklan

declan, youhave to buy things :lol: :lol: :lol:

i am sure that someone like screwfix or axminster might sell
it,

but you often get these things in shoes, and even electronic
equipment particularly that brought in from asia.

doyou have double glazing firms in your part of france? maybe they would
have them.

basically it is a dessicant which attracts water out of the atmosphere
and absorbs it, then i think it later releases it when the air becomes
less full of water.

paul :wink:

Thanks Paul, I thought that when you said Gel it was something that you rubbed on, ( probably to much Algipan when I was a kid..,)
Decklan.

Paul is right. Don't know if anybody else watches "How its Made" on the Discovery channel, but its absolutely facinating sometimes.

Anyway it showed double glazed units having a dessicant of silica gel added to the bottom of the unit under a mesh during the manufacturing process.

The program shows a lot of automated machines making, buttons, tunnocks teacakes, tofu, crisps.

Maybe I'm just an engineering geek. :oops:

Thanks for the 'hello', much appreciated. It's great to be on a site where so many people have obviously a great amount of knowledge.I look forward to picking your brains in the near future.
Decklan (hammer)

As a side note.
If you are using silica gel, it will get saturated with water over time and stop absorbing water.
You can reactivate by heating it in a low oven for a couple of hours.

The stuff I used to use a long time ago was blue in colour when dry and pink when saturated with water.

Rick...

On a slightly OT note, I remember reading somewhere that the wear and tear on a typical sash window (when closed) was equivalent to the size of the open trickle vent that Building Regs insist on you putting into new windows.

If you cannot find silica easily, I've heard (but not confirmed for myself) that the crystal type kitty litter is a good dessicant. At least the stuff is relatively cheap and easy to find, so can be replaced periodically rather than bothering with drying out (and isn't too big a waste if it doesn't work out as hoped).

The ones I've seen look like translucent blue or grey coloured gravel - so maybe a cheesecloth bag or similar could be made to hide them in.

The more expensive option (much more) is some of these hydroscopic gel filled sacks that you get for drying out snowboarding boots:
Dampire Dryzone at Ellis Brigham
They work well on my boots! :)

Ian

Thanks Guys
Off to go and fit them now.I've got a feeling they're going to end up looking like something out of Proffesser Barnstorms' workshop, complete with secret doors and pulleys and things...
Decklan

Great help all round guys,a big thankyou to all, Especially to Jacob for that really comprehensive reply.
For the money side of things, on jobs like these( making my work fit around somebody else's), day rate always.

Who said could I take some photo's of the inside of the window frames?I assured my good lady that this was a hip'n'happening site, she'd laugh at me.Whatever next? Table legs?
Decklan

Latest posts

Back