Condensation....I never knew you

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My dehumidifier is only a basic one, I keep it in my firewood kiln, it collects about half a pint an hour. 7 1/2 ltrs
I wonder if two or three layers of bubble wrap glued up to form a box which you could drop over the bit of kit you want to protect would do any good?

Is that a Typo? Seems a LOT
Artie, Yes it does seem a lot but I am quoting from the Igenix instruction manual. 20 Litres a day, 30C, 90% RH. That's the quantity it will collect in a day and it fills up the container before automatically switching itself off. I was shocked too. And the air in the workshop is nice and dry.

Artie, Yes it does seem a lot but I am quoting from the Igenix instruction manual. 20 Litres a day, 30C, 90% RH. That's the quantity it will collect in a day
I see. I had thought you meant that it had actually collected that amount of water.
Mine is rated for 12L per day at a set of ideal parameters, but it usually captures <> 2L per 24 hour period. The amount it collects is diminishing as the old house dries out. Yesterday we briefly hit a new record of RH 46%

I see. I had thought you meant that it had actually collected that amount of water.
Mine is rated for 12L per day at a set of ideal parameters, but it usually captures <> 2L per 24 hour period. The amount it collects is diminishing as the old house dries out. Yesterday we briefly hit a new record of RH 46%
Artie, I didn't actually measure the amount of water collected but the tank had filled up after 12 or 24hrs and the red light came on to automatically switch it off. For a £15 secondhand purchase, it certainly seems to do the job. But I do need to plumb in a 1/2" bore plastic pipe to drain it outside and will save me emptying the tank every day.

When I bought my Record Power Bandsaw, the rep from Record said to cover it with a blanket. I'm now intending to do something like that. I have a large workshop that is difficult to dehumidify. In your experience/knowledge what would you guys recommend from:
  • Cotton dustsheet
  • Cotton dustsheet with plastic liner
  • Plastic dustsheet
  • Blanket
Just thinking about buying something from Screwfix. Plastic is cheaper but would it not work as well, I wonder?

Cheers

Don't use plastic! Or bubble wrap - it needs to breathe.

I use moving blankets. Simple and cheap, easily found on ebay. I have one over each major machine. Buy the slightly more expensive ones as they won't leave bits all over the place.

My workshop is outdoors, and I have a wood-burning stove for very cold days. No significant rust with using blankets.

old fire blankets make excellent covers, or simple sheets from callico with rare earth magnets sewn into the corners

my old house was a converted water mill.....
couldnt heat the workshop as it was almost an open barn......
all my machines got an curly whurly 11 watt bulb under /inside the machine 24/7.....this started around Sept till March'ish....most had ceramic bulb holders fitted, the rest got the old fashioned work light....the machine never felt warm but condensation was a thing of the past.....
even my 180 mig got a bulb in the wire reel department....
all the machine were covered in old blankets and Duvets......looks a bit tatty but it works.....
the metal machines lathes and mill's all had water cooling (sud's)...there was no rust ever.....
took mins to remove the covers, u soon got used to it.....
I prefer simple things....with the likes of dehumidif. there is something else to go wrong.....
with the bulb it's easy to spot it not working...

Back