Computer desk - Stix Part 2 intermediate submission

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stix

Established Member
Reaction score
My part 1 competition entry was this computer desk

compdeskclosed.jpg

Well for part 2 I'm going to have a go at making it :shock:

Some parts of the design have changed slightly thanks to some of the feedback from the competition judges. I'm sure it will change again as I go along, as I discover the reality of making something from my design and my lack of experience on both parts 8-[

Although I ordered my timber 2 weeks ago I couldn't collect it until today so I'm a day late posting my first submission :oops:

My timber was milled to size for me as I only have a very small bench-top P/T that I use on small amounts of softwood and I didn't think the machine (or me!) would be able to cope with this amount of hardwood.

I've spent a few hours this afternoon cutting all the pieces for the two carcasses to length and cutting a few of the mortices with the router.
DSC02608.jpg

And this is where I'm up to at the end of my 1st day.
DSC02610.jpg

I don't have a workshop so the only place I can work is on my patio :( I'm going to need some good weather over the next few weeks if I'm going to get this finished before the deadline!

I post some more pics as soon as I get some more work done.

Cheers
Steve

Only had chance to do a couple of hours over the weekend, but here's the latest photo's

My tenoning jig
DSC02612.jpg

And end of day two progress
DSC02613.jpg

I have the week off work next week so I will hopefully make a lot more progress then.

Cheers
Steve

Let's hope it doesn't rain on you. :)

Cheers Mike

Having more work to do on my house that I realised I didn't manage to get any work done on my computer desk during my week off work last week:(

I have a baby due in 11 weeks time and it is more important for me to finish off the jobs I have to do around the house before I complete my desk.

I'm away for the next two weekends which means that sadly I'll be dropping out of the competition as I won't have my final submission ready in time for the deadline.

I'll hopefully have it finished by the end of November. I'll start a topic in the projects section when I resume work on the desk for any of you who may be interested in seeing how the project comes together (or falls apart!)

Cheers,
Steve

Bad luck Steve, I know how you feel as I had to drop out as well due to more important commitments.

Still looking forward to seeing the finished article though. :wink:

I like your tenon-cutting jig and the size of your workshop! :wink:

Shame you couldn't meet the deadline also, but I still look forward to seeing the finished result. :)

Latest posts

Back