Compound Sliding Mitre Saw for DIY/Hobbiest

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've had that Metabo for a couple of years.
Accurate enough for basic joinery and a godsend when I was laying floorboards/fitting skirting...but worse than useless for building furniture. I'm thinking of selling it and either downsizing to a non-sliding Makita or upgrading to a Festool. Or just sticking with sharp handsaws and a shooting board.

cowfoot":2e11m2du said:
I've had that Metabo for a couple of years.
Accurate enough for basic joinery and a godsend when I was laying floorboards/fitting skirting...but worse than useless for building furniture. I'm thinking of selling it and either downsizing to a non-sliding Makita or upgrading to a Festool. Or just sticking with sharp handsaws and a shooting board.

Probably the latter is better for accuracy.

I bought a cheap entry level SCMS many years back, the biggest problem was that it just wouldn't keep its accuracy.

I replaced it with a well used De Walt 708 about 15 years ago, I took some time setting it up and had the blade sharpened and it has been a true workhorse ever since handling everything from decking and construction type projects to cabinets and bookcases for the house. It started making a racket just before Christmas and I thought its days were numbered, but a couple of hours of my time, some fresh bearings and I think it should be good for another 15 years; it is well made and easy to maintain.

Well worth considering a used professional/industrial machine.

Latest posts

Back