Compound Cut Christmas Decoration

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh Dave - my heart goes out to you. You're so close to achieving a really wonderful cut!

Let's take it from step one. B&Q (and most good DIY retailers :roll: ) sell blue decorators masking tape which is great for lubricating blades as they cut. I'd suggest you wrap your ash (or beech) in some and then fasten your pattern to the block of wood. Artists spray mount adhesive is not cheap but you use very little so it's worth buying. Spray a little on the back of your pattern, leave it for 10 seconds or so, then apply it as you did before. You should find the pattern won't move when you next start to cut.

What blades are you using? Don't worry if you have to move up to #9 so long as you're able to keep the cutting action cool. I think it's more important that you should be using a skip-tooth blade than worrying about the size of the blade. Skip-tooth blades are so very efficient at clearing swarf from the cutting edge and thereby reducing friction.

Apart from these points to watch, I reckon you've got it sussed! Try again and amaze yourself.

Reverting to the subject of MDF, this is my latest segmentation WIP:

MentoraWIP.jpg

The final piece won't look too different from this (I know, I painted some bits chrome which should be green and vice versa :roll: ), but I'm having an awful time getting a decent chrome paint finish on the cheek. Blotchiness abounds!

Gill

Thats an interesting take on the Mentora dragon Gill, very nice. I have also got hold of a pattern to have a go at that but since I found out yesterday that the house I just bought needs completely rewiring I think Mentora has slipped down the list a little :roll:

Keep posting those pics!

Steve.

Gill,

Thanks for the advice. 8) I have some of the blue masking tape, I will try it on the beech.
On the blade front I have a selection of blades that I bought from Axminster when they stopped selling scroll saw blades and now only list mixed bundles of fret saw blades. I will have to lay then out and try to decide which are which. #-o

The dragon is magic, if this is the sort of thing you are doing, I wish to lodge a formal complaint that you are not posting pictures. :wink:

Steve - I didn't know you were a member of one of the forums involved with Mentora! Which one? And have you been quietly developing your scrollsaw techniques without showing anyone the fruits of your labours? You sneaky devil!

Dave - You might find it beneficial to ask Mike Moorlach in the US to send you a free sample of his blades. He's also got advice on blade selectionon his Flying Dutchman website. As with most tools, there are blades and there are blades. I'm wary of using own-brand because you're never sure what you're getting. I sometimes wonder how many people have been put off scrolling because they've relied on generic machines and sundries which don't perform to an acceptable standard. If you're interested in an English supplier of saw blades, those from Hegner are very good but I much prefer the Flying Dutchman Penguin Silver Reverse #9 for cutting my Christmas decorations.

Another website that novice (and even seasoned) scrollers often find useful is Rick Hutcheson'swhich now hosts brief video lessons.

Gill

Hi Gill, I regularly read through scrollsaw workshop (or scrollsaw woodworking and crafts as it has now become) but have never posted.

http://www.scrollsawer.com for those that are interested

I have been very tied up with moving into a new house lately which is in need of some TLC so sadly no, I have not been refining my technique at all. I still keep an eye out for patterns and do a little scrolling since it is something I can pick up and put down quite easily and fit in half an hour here and there. I will certainly try and have a go at Mentora before the deadline if I can!

Cheers,

Steve.

DaveL":3qxappx8 said:
Gill":3qxappx8 said:
The aim is to cut lots more so that by Christmas I'll be able to decorate a tree with them.
Should look good, please post us a picture. 8)

I'm lousy at decorating Christmas trees, but I must say the decorations do look rather nice :) . All the baubles on the tree and the snowflake on the top (which hasn't come out too clearly in the piccy :oops: ) are home-made.

ChristmasTree.jpg

Gill

Gill

Thjey look really good, I didn't realise how small they were until I saw them on the tree. Are you going into mass production?

Gill,

Well done. :D

I have cut a couple that did not fall to bits, :roll: I will try and post some pictures, don't think mine will be going on the tree. :oops:

Latest posts

Back