Combination Shoulder Plane

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Karl

Established Member
Reaction score
I am considering my next purchase, which is to be a Shoulder Plane.

Does anybody have any experience of combination planes - I am thinking in particular of the Clifton 3110. I am very pleased with my Clifton No 7 I recently purchased, so was thinking of staying in the same camp.

Or would you suggest buying separate dedicated Shoulder, Bull nose and Chisel planes???

Cheers

Karl

karlley":1lmcjqs7 said:
I am considering my next purchase, which is to be a Shoulder Plane.

Or would you suggest buying separate dedicated Shoulder, Bull nose and Chisel planes???

I would suggest buying an excellent "no compromise" shoulder plane, and not worrying about bull nose and chisel planes.

Bull nose planes are of very limited use, and chisels planes can be made or improvised, or done without.

BugBear

I have the Clifton 3110. It's useful and very good quality however, I only ever seem to need it in 'shoulder mode'. So in hindsight I'd have been better off with a shoulder plane. But that's not saying the Clifton is compromised by it's design. Although, I have nothing to compare it with, I regard it as an extremely nice tool...and if I occasionally needed a bullnose or chisel setup - well there it is!

Ike

I'm with Ike, my 3110 being a joy to hold (and behold) and use. However, now that I have one I'm hard pushed to imagine many occasions when it isn't used in shoulder format.
My Clifton 420 is another story altogether. Having recently been fortunate enough to have a fondle of the LV medium shoulder plane I was really taken by how immediately comfortable it was in the hand, unlike my 420 which for the life of me I can't figure out a good way to hold :? . For that reason it sadly stays in the box, as yet unused in anger - hmm.. thinking about it I might sell it and get the LV instead :-k
One thing of note, on both my Cliffies the blades needed a fair bit of work out of the box, since the primary bevels were ground out of square. With no lateral adjustment to speak of this is a big deal, and fairly annoying in a plane costing this much.

Hi Guys

So i'm not feeling much love for the 3110 !

I think there was a thread recently about "which shoulder plane" - will look it up and see what the outcome was.

Cheers

Karl

Not fond of 311.

Removable parts never line up quite as well as they might, and more weight or heft is often an advantage.

David

Altogether a bit of a compromise. It would be useful were both a bull nose and a shoulder required in a "working out" kit to reduce weight, but if you're taking that sort of tool onto site you've obviously done something wrong in the workshop!

Scrit

It might be a slightly nationalistic prejudice on my part, but my best shoulder plane is one from HNT Gordon, whose planes are made in Australia from Australian hardwood.

I notice that they have recently been putting their excess stock and seconds on eBay (see, for example, ebay link )

They look simple and are a bit pricey, but they are a delight to use (especially on really hard hardwood).

Just been on the phone to Turners Retreat - their website shows the LV Large Shoulder Plane at £135. Was going to order one at that price, but was then told the price was actually £160 - :x

Cheers

Karl

Sorry for the reccomendation then, as mine was as the price on the net £109 for the medium!

Bloonose - no need for the apology.

I just phoned them again - the Medium has now increased in price as well - £130ish.

Looks like you got a bargain !

Cheers

Karl

If you bought one from LV direct you pay $165 or £82 + approx £18 postage so total £100 I've only ever had to pay duty once even if you did have to pay your still gonna be quids in. :?

Hi LN

Yes, I did think about that. But if you do get hit with the taxes, then the final bill is likely to be around the RRP anyway.

This also assumes that you are OK with tax avoidance, which I am not.

Cheers

Karl

karlley":u32rzixl said:
Hi LN

Yes, I did think about that. But if you do get hit with the taxes, then the final bill is likely to be around the RRP anyway.

This also assumes that you are OK with tax avoidance, which I am not.

Cheers

Karl

If they don't ask for the tax it's not avoidance. So why not order direct then? you might be the winner in the long run.

largeshoulderplane.jpg

[/img]

just a quick piece of freehand planing this arvo. in view of the comments and the fact that i actually needed such a thing, i have planed a 15mm x6mm groove in this lump of softwood.

as you can see i have used my LV large shoulder plane, which is still sharp even after sorting some oak :? marked out the depth and the width using a straight edge, then proceeded to do it unguided.

obviously would be easier with a guide, but since this was an experiment not bad. :roll: about 10 minutes from marking out to finish.

biggest problem actually is the throat of the LV which if you are lucky like me and get full length shavings, will pretty soon get blocked up with these rolls of wood. still am very happy with this attempt.

even did the other bevel freehand with my LN block plane :twisted:

(not a gloat honest :? )

must say that the large shoulder with the moveable rear handle is really good to use and easy to work.

paul :wink:

Back