Coloured Beeswax Red, Blue etc.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HantsHog

Established Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if beeswax polish is available in vibrant colours such as red, green, blue etc.? I've been using the usual Dark Oak beeswax (tinned soft creamy stuff that goes on with a brush) to finish soft wood products made from pallet wood. I like the finish, feel and ease of beeswax but fancy something more vibrant.

This is interesting.
I think you will struggle to find any beeswax in vibrant colours. You could try making some yourself. If you get a clear or light coloured wax and melt it on a low heat in a pan ( one that you will not be using again in the kitchen ) you can then add pigment to it, Turmeric works very well to give a yellow, Aqua Marine for a vivid blue ect. The pigments that will work best are the earth pigments but they can be a bit 'gritty', to overcome this you could grind them down further in a pestle and mortar. One problem you may encounter with a coloured wax will be the chance it may go white in the grain once it has dried.
Another idea I have just had* Konig say all their products are interchangeable and they have primary colours in a liquid form and they have hard waxes so it may be possible to use one of their colours. I have a few Konig colours so I will have a go at making a coloured wax today. I will let you know how I get on.

Well here are the results. I melted some Harrells Khaki wax, divided it in two and mixed the Konig colours into it. The blue mixed very well, I just poured it in and stirred. The red started to curdle but I gave it a good stir and all seemed well so I allowed them to cool. When cold I slapped a dollop of each onto a piece of rough sawn 2X2 allowed to harden and buffed. As you can see it has added a strong vibrant colour and it gave a nice satin sheen.
Is this the sort of thing you are looking for HantsHog?

P1010926.jpg

P1010927.jpg

P1010929.jpg

Attachments

• P1010929.jpg
    P1010929.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 683
  • P1010927.jpg
    P1010927.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 683
  • P1010926.jpg
    P1010926.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 683
Excellent research mrpercysnodgrass. I searched but found nothing other than encaustic paint which uses vivid coloured beeswax using earth pigments. What you have achieved is exactly my goal. It'll be interesting to see how the result performs long term but its worth having a go myself as it opens up many possibilities.

Back