Colour matching filler

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogerS

Established Member
Reaction score
This is the colour chart from the Osmo Wood Putty range. I was interested in Antique Oak as that looked to be dark enough to match into some oak floorboards.
osmo putty colours.png

This is the reality. Hopelessly pale. Total mismatch.

20230402_111136.jpg

So where to go next ?

I've tried the "mixing sanding dust into some 'carrier'" trick but that came out pale due to the stearate, most likely, in the sandpaper.

I find mixing water based stain ( Colron refined ) with with white filler power quite effective . A few practice runs on an off cut and allow to fully dry . Once dry you can make add stain to darken it a bit more . I’ve never had much success with glue and sawdust etc .

A cross grain fissure like that is going to be very difficult to hide. In general It's better to aim for a shade that is darker than the board. I use Liberon Earth Pigments mixed with filler to get the right shade. Mix a test sample and let it dry before judging.

i would have sent a sample to morrells distributor and they would have matched a stain for you and some fine sawdust and glue may have yielded better results. its annoying when colours dont match .. and I am coloured blind . thats worse as shades stick out a mile . wish you all the best.

Back