• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to UK Workshop and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

For Sale Clifton No5 Plane

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billw

The Tattooed One
Reaction score
So I bought this not so long ago, got it out of the box, realised it was the green version not the black one, and instantly went off it. I've cleaned it up a bit but haven't touched the blade which is pretty darned blunt.

£280 + £10 postage.

IMG_9493.JPEG
IMG_9494.JPEG
IMG_9495.JPEG
IMG_9496.JPEG
IMG_9497.JPEG
IMG_9498.JPEG
IMG_9499.JPEG
IMG_9500.JPEG

What is the difference compared to a black one apart from it being black? Not ventured into the dark world of planes yet, it seems to be another world of woodworking that I have not got into.

The original poster hasn’t logged into the forum since 27 July 2021.

Clifton Planes was established when Record Power transferred manufacturing in Sheffield to the Far East. The Sheffield Factory was bought out and Clifton Planes was established. The planes were finished in dark green paint.

Some time ago - I don’t know when - ownership of Clifton Planes transferred to another Sheffield firm Thomas Finn - a family firm established in 1923. Thomas Finn are the only UK firm that manufactures planes, spokeshaves and saws (including, incidentally, musical saws played with a bow).

Clifton Planes under ownership of Thomas Finn, who state that they’re are still made in the same factory, to the same standards, by the same people, using the same materials and production techniques. To mark the change of ownership, the paint colour of the plane was changed from green to graphite.

I’m not a Psychologist, so I can’t second guess why the O.P went off the plane.

Hope that’s of interest.

David.

Last edited:
who state that they’re are still made in the same factory, to the same standards, by the same people, using the same materials and production techniques. To mark the change of ownership, the paint colour of the plane was changed from green to graphite.
Great info, that sounds like functionality has not changed and a Clifton plane is still a great tool to own and use. If the color is of high importance then I would suggest that is down to being a collector, owning the tool is of more importance and needs to be correct in all details which means color.

Looking at the workmanship I can see why you might want one sitting on your mantlepiece, it shows that we once valued such quality.

They no longer forge stamp the logo into the blade only print it (or laser etch ?) and they now use a one piece cap iron, so minor changes.

Back