Clifton 4 1/2 - 5 1/2

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bramers

Established Member
Reaction score
hi all i am going up to sheffield soon and i am going to buy a clifton.
i am sure you all know what i am doing, and there for you will know what will be best for me.

i want a plane that will serve more that one purpose and will be a good all-rounder. i always thought i would get a 4 1/2 but now i am thinking about a 5 1/2. help

p.s i am doing a joinery course at college then doing a furniture course.

thanks

B
The 5 1/2 is a useful size-long enough for jointing smaller pieces but a good size (and weight) for smoothing. It's also David Charlesworth's favorite size-'nuff said?? :wink:
Hope this helps
Philly :D

Bramers

My 4 1/2 used to be my favourite until I got the 5 1/2.

Go for 5 1/2 mate

what is so good about the 5 1/2? is it the fact that you have that much more support?

i think the fact is that if you have only one plane to start, then the extra length is always an advantage.

when an apprentice metalworker, we made things like cubes of metal, and also i eventually taught university grads how to file. the initial thought is to use a small file, but we found that the longer the file the more flat and square the metal would become.

so i would suggest that in woodworking, the longer plane, although it is not too much longer, will help you make long and small pieces smoother and flatter.

sure there is a more technical answer, but it is a proven mechanical advantage.

paul :wink:

Length makes it more versatile, for sure. One other reason is a matter of proportion, I think; it just feels better in the hand. For my money the older, marginally narrower, 5 1/2 has even better proportions and it's a crying shame that both Clifton and LN have gone with the same-width-as-the-4 1/2 option. 'Course you can still get that narrower width in a new plane, but everything else is fouled up instead; bevel up and funny totes and such. :roll: #-o :wink:

Cheers, Alf

Alf":61gazdzn said:
'Course you can still get that narrower width in a new plane, but everything else is fouled up instead; bevel up and funny totes and such. :roll: #-o :wink:

Cheers, Alf

You wouldn't be talking about a (cough)veritas(cough) would you? :wink:

Back