clifton 2 piece cap iron - Where can I get a 2 5/8 one?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mickthetree

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey all

I have a lovely record no 08 that is my main plane now. Lovely flat sole, and loads of mass.

It looks like the mouth has been filed open at some point and I'm trying to get hold of a thicker iron and chip breaker so I can close up the mouth without moving the frog right forwards.

I'd really like to get hold of a clifton blade and 2 piece cap iron, but the only place I've found that does the 2 5/8" cap iron is fine tools in germany. A 2 piece cap iron and blade from them comes to £108 delivered. Anyone know where I can get this cheaper?

I called Ray Iles's number but they dont produce these any more. (they had some on their site but they forgot to remove them).

I could go for a hock blade and chip breaker, but I understand these are no thicker?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

If I cant get it cheaper then I'll put the money towards a cliffie instead.

Hi. Mick

How wide is your mouth? it must be very wide to give problems with the frog.
I have a Record No8 I can measure the mouth to compare. Mine has a standard Record blade and cap iron which work very well.

Pete

Clifton don't make a #8 so the widest Clifton cap iron will be 2 3/8" for the #7.

If you want a two-piece cap iron your best bet will probably be to try to find a second-hand Record Stay-set cap iron but I doubt that there are many about unless you buy a complete #8 Record Stay-set plane.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Thanks for the suggestions guys

I spoke to the guys at Clifton and they used to make a number 8 cap iron but they only sold 4 or 5 a year so stopped. Fine Tools still show stock but as I say, its £108 with a matching clifton number 8 blade.

I'll measure the mouth tonight when I get home I think its quarter inch, but I'll check.

Thanks again

mickthetree

mickthetree":1076bvaa said:
Hey all

I have a lovely record no 08 that is my main plane now. Lovely flat sole, and loads of mass.

It looks like the mouth has been filed open at some point and I'm trying to get hold of a thicker iron and chip breaker so I can close up the mouth without moving the frog right forwards.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

If I cant get it cheaper then I'll put the money towards a cliffie instead.

The blade for the LN #8 is
LN":1076bvaa said:
exceptionally thick 3/16" (4.7mm) blade.

They also list 2 5/8" "improved chipbreakers"

(it is unclear wether LN still sell "normal" chipbreakers)

A thicker chipbreaker won't close the mouth, of course.

BugBear

A thicker chipbreaker won't close the mouth, of course.

BugBear

It will if you slide it foward enough :wink:

Pete

Hi mick,

I recently (March this year) went through the same execise - trying to find a 2⅝" Clifton 2-piece cap-iron. None of the regular UK Clifton stockists seemed to have any left. I tried a few US stockists including Japan Woodworker - $US34.75, but I wasn't happy with the shipping price. In the end I bought from DT Fine Tools in Germany for €28.74 plus €7,00 shipping (to New Zealand).

I did contemplate a O1 Clifton iron as well but that really killed my budget AND I didn't want to have to file open the mouth of the plane. I've now ordered an M2 iron via the Aussie forum ($A45.00) as these will be just 2.8mm thick vrs 3.1mm for a Clifton iron.

The mouth of my Record 08 is 4.65mm.

HTH.

edit: price corrected from €8.74 to €28.74

How is it with Records, how thick the blade can be that depth adjustment still works sufficiently?

Doesn't it adjust the depth via chipbreaker like in Stanleys? Or am I completely wrong here?

Samu

Ikisumu":2ofpzg7i said:
How is it with Records, how thick the blade can be that depth adjustment still works sufficiently?

Doesn't it adjust the depth via chipbreaker like in Stanleys? Or am I completely wrong here?
Hi Samu,

Yes Records are almost identical to 1930s Stanleys, so a thicker blade often does cause a problem with depth adjustment. Not so with the thicker cap-iron and the original iron though.

In my experience (of far too many e-pay planes) Record irons are up to 2.40mm thick, whereas the few Clifton irons I have are from 3.30mm to 3.40mm thick.

Cheers, Vann.

Vann":xernpdm8 said:
In the end I bought from DT Fine Tools in Germany for €8.74 plus €7,00 shipping (to New Zealand).
HTH.

Wow that is a good price! :lol:

They list them and I have emailed them to see if they are in stock. Waiting on an answer. £35 delivered from DT

I've listed 4 of my other planes on ebay and I'm going to put that towards a clifton #7. I might just pick up the hock set for this number 8.

Mouth on my Record #8 is 6.53mm wide.

mickthetree":36du8of5 said:
Vann":36du8of5 said:
In the end I bought from DT Fine Tools in Germany for €8.74 plus €7,00 shipping (to New Zealand).
HTH.

Wow that is a good price! :lol:
It would be a good price - but it's a typo :oops:
€28.74 plus €7,00 shipping would be more accurate (dearer than the UK advertised prices - but they're all sold out).
mickthetree":36du8of5 said:
Mouth on my Record #8 is 6.53mm wide.
I've looked at my collection of rusty wrecks and the mouths on mine are nearly all under 5mm. The one exception (a 1990s Record-Marples SP04) has a mouth of 6.25mm. So I would suggest that you are correct - the mouth on yours has been filed.

Cheer, Vann.

Back