Cleaning up glue squeeze out

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaulO

Established Member
Reaction score
Saw a tip on a US TV programme for clearing glue squeeze out from inside corners.

I have always used a scrap of wood or formica to scrape it out before wiping with a warm sponge. (if i haven't managed to avoid squeeze out all together)

The tip was to use a drinking straw. It is flexible enough to conform to the corner, thin enough to clear most of the glue, and the excess glue gets stored up the straw. To reuse, just trim the end of the straw off.

I was a bit skeptical, but tried it this weekend, and it worked very well.

If my other half saw me bent over a half finished table sookin on a straw I would be out the door!

Couple of things to consider here. If the inside of the corner has been polished, then the glue squeeze out can be left and picked off with the point of a scalpel when set. If the timber is unpolished most of the glue can be removed with a sharpened stick (or piece of Formica) and then the remainder can taken off with a small cut down paint brush (like a stencil brush) which has been barely wetted with water - Rob

woodbloke":3c94xug2 said:
glue can be removed with a sharpened stick (or piece of Formica)

That was the method I usually use, but found that a straw worked as well if not better than a piece of formica. It also means you don't have to worry about cutting the formica to the right angle if your internal corner is not a right angle. As I said in my initial post, I was skeptical at first, but it works well.

Latest posts

Back