classical guitar strap buttons

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jacob

New Luddism. Awake and resist!
Reaction score
Guitar straps fitted to two buttons is normal for most guitars (and a great many other instruments) except for the classical guitar. Instead they go to a lot of trouble to get a good playing position, with footstools, or knee braces, or straps which don't fit buttons but clip on to the sound-hole, etc etc.
I can't see why this is and I feel it is a fashion thing (to avoid looking like a mariachi?).

Why shouldn't I fit two buttons to my guitar? It's a good one (Yamaha GC41) - I'm not bothered about the resale value but don't want to compromise it's playing quality.
It's not heavy (like a solid electric) nor will it get thrown around and stressed. So what's the problem?

Tradition I guess. My lad does classical guitar and he has three marks taken off his Grade score as his teacher doesn't approve of the "correct posture". Classical guitarists do look a tad ridiculous when playing traditionally.

It's your guitar, and it's hardly a '58 Les Paul so do what you like!

Dario

IIRC folk players use straps that tie at the head with string.

Woodie Guthrie:

woody_guthrie-looking-up.jpg

Pete Seeger

Pete_Seeger_1986.jpg

String's the thing!

BugBear

Doesn't work with the official correct position; headstock high as the head:
http://www.thisisclassicalguitar.com/ba ... on-guitar/
The top fixing is best under the neck at the heel - I've got this on several other instruments with no problem.

I'm working on this as it may be part of the reason for my severe lack of ability in spite of many years of fiddling about with the bloody thing. The footstool seems worst option and I get cramp really quickly. Next best is a knee brace stuck on with a sucker but it tends to come loose and isn't that adjustable.

i dont play but why do they hold a classical guitar like that seems to me that your fret hand is moving up and down
compared to what i would call the normal way where your hand moves along the fret

Play it resting on your right thigh, folk style, then you won`t need a strap - unless you are planning on standing up to play it.
I think Segovia managed OK without one by the way :wink:

woodaxed":aefz7fg2 said:
i dont play but why do they hold a classical guitar like that seems to me that your fret hand is moving up and down
compared to what i would call the normal way where your hand moves along the fret
It's the most efficient position apparently. Hand close to the body so not extended out on a trembly arm.
Segovia does it too with a foot stool. I suppose he set the style.

xsegoviahispage.jpg.pagespeed.ic.hCVEV68ROz.jpg

Isn't it a balance issue? A solid body will counterbalance the neck with a strap-button at the heel. A 'relatively' light weight classical body won't stop the headstock diving into the ground, hence the strap at the headstock end.

No it works fine with a light guitar - position 5 on this page
I think it's just a fashion thing so I've made my mind up and going for it anyway. Two buttons ordered.
The only hazard is the chance of hitting a bit of steel if there's a bolt in the way, but I can find out with a magnet.

I don't think it has anything to do with fashion. Despite having played, collected, made and traded guitars for 35 years I still don't know much but this is what I think. Classical guitars are not at all like electric guitars steel strung guitars (folk) for example or jazz instruments. Things that make a difference are:
1 Necks tend to be quite thick as well as quite broad. They are usually not profiled in at all the same way as say slim necked electric instruments
2 The action tends to be quite high (nylon and wound strings) and the frets are usually quite broad and deep too
3 This means the fretting action requires specific technique to get the strings to ring cleanly and avoid fret buzz and string noise. It therefore tends to require a different thumb brace and hand arch than one would use if playing a guitar with say a V neck as I happen to liket in Custom fender strats or even a broad shape as one would find on a 58 or 59 Gibson Les Paul for example (the market is awash with copies).
4 Vibrato and other techniques are dissimilar to those used on other guitars.
5 Classical guitars are very light. They do not need much support and a foot rest and elevated neck allow good articulation both along and across the neck
6 Classical guitars are almost always played sitting down (Flamenco variants not necessarily). There is therefor no need for a strap. The thick neck and high action makes playing intricate or challenging music quite difficult if standing up or in a position where the left arm is not well positioned to get good leverage across the neck.

But - it is your guitar, and you should do whatever you want. A button is no big deal and won't hurt the instrument. You do sometimes see them on the heel of the neck.

AJB Temple":1i9royqq said:
6 Classical guitars are almost always played sitting down (Flamenco variants not necessarily). There is therefor no need for a strap. .......
But they need a footstool (or other support) which a strap can replace.
Bin browsing guitar sites - they go to a lot of trouble to avoid the simple strap - there's even a harness here supposedly for flamenco players, but nobody quite says why? I think it's fashion!

Jacob":119d7hd6 said:
I think it's just a fashion thing so I've made my mind up and going for it anyway. Two buttons ordered.

Are you playing classical music (and hence technique) on it?

BugBear

PS - looked up the model - a bit spendy for me; $1200-$1400 s/h!!

bugbear":s1uj672h said:
Jacob":s1uj672h said:

Are you playing classical music (and hence technique) on it?
Yes but I'm slightly more interested about good sight reading and theory at the mo. I just want to get it right having got it wrong for a long time!
BugBear

PS - looked up the model - a bit spendy for me!
Ebay bargain. I won't lose on it even if I screw on strap buttons! It's very nice - you get what you pay for but nowadays cheapo chinese etc are astonishingly good value.

Latest posts

Back