clamps wanted.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Turks

Reaction score
Has anybody got any decent clamps for sale? I did look at the dakotas at rutlands somebody mentioned on here but the comments were not brilliant. As a newbie ive only got 4 clamps so definatly need more to make my stairs.
Phil.

Do you have any local car boot type markets?
I regularly see all sorts of clamps at the ones I go to - real good old Record sashes for not very much at all sometimes.

Tilgear have some Urko ones on offer at the moment:

I bought four of the smaller-reach ones in their Christmas offer, and I'm pretty pleased with them, although you need two hands to use them, and for stairs they may not be big enough!

I also got six of the Axminster quick clamps (one-handed),when they were on offer recently:

They're really nice, but I'm not sure if they're big enough either. Rutlands have got several types of bar cramp on offer (up to at least 5'), but I can't speak from experience - my last ones came from Toolstation years ago!

Hi - I've just taken delivery of the six pack of Rutlands Dakota heavy duty bar clamps

I've done a load of pictures and plan to do a review for the review pages which your message will (might) hopefully spur me onto doing

I would recommend you get your hands on as many different types as you can before you dive into buying anything though.

Pete

stoatyboy":3jgnonj0 said:
Hi - I've just taken delivery of the six pack of Rutlands Dakota heavy duty bar clamps

I've done a load of pictures and plan to do a review for the review pages which your message will (might) hopefully spur me onto doing

I would recommend you get your hands on as many different types as you can before you dive into buying anything though.

Pete

Pete, just been having a look at the dakotas, 6x 54" capacity for £60 odd delivered is just silly cheap! Need some for the weekend so your thoughts on them would be more than handy timing wise :lol:

Looked at the Besseys, i only get 4 that size for £189 which is hard to justify at my level and i can get for record sash's for £114. i'm only looking for medium clamping so as long as there functional and hardy enough job done? The dakotas potentially look great value, there not going to be as good as the Besseys i know that for a start but if there close to the records (which by all accounts aren't the same these days anyway) then the price differential will sway it.

Yours and everybody elses thoughts welcome :wink:

Dean

I have been using the Dakota ones for a while now without any complaints. They do the job they are intended to and are much less than the Besseys. My Bessey clamp has fallen apart already. Need I say more. :wink:

I got 2 packs of the Dakota 54" clamps (12 in all).

When I got them out of the pack they were not as straight and true as I expected but then I'm used to the old-fashioned pig iron ones from college.

They're not a patch on the Besseys but as a general set of clamps, they're fine. I don't regret buying them (and that's one below my top recommendation) :p .

Thanks guys, looks like i'll be ordering those in the morning then! Its only to clamp another m&t'd pine frame together so sounds like job done :lol:

Dean

Whoops hope this is not too late

I used them and nothing went wrong with them so yes they did the job

my initial impression was a bit deflating - usually when you buy a new toy - sorry tool - you get a bit of a happy glow when you fist get it out of the packet - that didn't happen to me with these

they are cheap and arrived next day and did the job so can't complain.

One key point that might sway you is that they are advertised as 'cast iron heads and tails' - which swayed me - but they are actually cast alloy heads and tails and only the bit the screw actually goes through is iron - so of the three green bits in the pictures only one of them is iron.

Unless of course there's a new type of iron that weighs the same as aluminium and isn't magnetic??

I don't know where you are in East Sussex but I'm just over the border in Hassocks, West Sussex so if you want to come and have a look or even borrow them for the job then that would give you more time for a decision - although mine are the 48" ones which have a capacity of 42.5" for clamping so might not be big enough.

Cheers - Pete

stoatyboy":24fwpbyn said:
One key point that might sway you is that they are advertised as 'cast iron heads and tails' - which swayed me - but they are actually cast alloy heads and tails and only the bit the screw actually goes through is iron - so of the three green bits in the pictures only one of them is iron.

Unless of course there's a new type of iron that weighs the same as aluminium and isn't magnetic??

Cheers - Pete

Why am I not at all surprised :roll:

Incidentally IMHO pipe clamps are the cheapest & most versatile way forward with clamping

Hi Pete,

No not to late! I just had one of those feelings and thought i can still get them in time if i order in the morning so i haven't ordered them yet :)

I have done another forum search and came up with a real mixed bag with these Dakotas - on one hand for the money sounds like i won't complain but then again i'm loving this woodwork so maybe i should stick to my normal rule and spend a bit more. Don't like the fact the ......... lie about what there made from either! I'll order some records in the morning i think.

Thank-you for your kind offer, i'm just outside brighton so hassocks is only up the road - can i take you up on that if mine don't turn up in time? :roll: for the frame i'm building at the mo i need 1070mm which is just over 42''! Even if alls good maybe swap details, always good to know like minded folks and always happy to help if i can too.

Dean

*Edit!* Thanks Lurker too, thats next on my list to have a lookie at :wink:

I had that feeling and went 'oh sod it' and ordered!

Unless you absolutely have to have six clamps the next day for £50 then I reckon something else is probably a better bet.

But they did the job!!

PM me with a phone number if you need to come up

cheers

I needed some clamps quick so bought 4 dakota parallel clamps. They did arrive the next day which was good. I dont think the build quality looks that good but for that price what do you expect and they do do the job up to now.

Back