Cladding suppliers?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Torx

Established Member
Reaction score
Right, I’m drawing a blank on cladding suppliers for my shed / workshop build. The choice seems to be the odd sawmill within reasonable distance that won’t even let me visit or look at samples advertised on Facebook or eBay, or premium stuff from suppliers miles away. Can anyone recommend a supplier in Cheshire / North West / North Wales?

Thanks

Surprised you don't have a suitable one down there. I can drop into Cladco up here is Glasgow and get any stuff. Some Roofing supply places and builders merchants have basic stuff.

Right, I’m drawing a blank on cladding suppliers for my shed / workshop build. The choice seems to be the odd sawmill within reasonable distance that won’t even let me visit or look at samples advertised on Facebook or eBay, or premium stuff from suppliers miles away. Can anyone recommend a supplier in Cheshire / North West / North Wales?

Thanks
I use henshaw timber of Baildon, West Yorkshire for good quality pine cladding

£1.85/m for 120x 20mm cladding.

Will deliver for a fee.

I use henshaw timber of Baildon, West Yorkshire for good quality pine cladding

£1.85/m for 120x 20mm cladding.

Will deliver for a fee.
Great, I work in Halifax so might be able to get to them - thanks

Noted, still working out my way around Yorkshire but always seem to end up down a narrow cobbled street no matter how I try to avoid them...

Annoying that no local sawmill will work with you. I get larch cladding from a place I consider local (70miles away) for £1.10+vat for 150x20. It’s considerably cheaper than anything else in the local area. They are not on Facebook of eBay and I have to ring and speak with them, so oldschool ;) , but they are great. Looking on Google maps you have Dyfannedd sawmill in the area with great reviews, no website but a phone number.

You say cladding but there are many types and ways to clad a building, what do you have in mind?

I used 6 inch wide 1 inch thick treated larch overlaped an inch and half with corner infil post on the recomendations of the local sawmill. Featherboard tends to split and the thin edge is a weak area prone to rot and shiplap is ok but not the cheapeset which is also the same for the barrel profile. Just using thick boards may be more agricultural but works fine. All held in place with these screws with double threads to pull the boards in tight and the head is sunk.

https://www.ironmongerydirect.co.uk/product/spax-decking-screw-4.5-x-60mm-pack-of-250-751715

You say cladding but there are many types and ways to clad a building, what do you have in mind?

I used 6 inch wide 1 inch thick treated larch overlaped an inch and half with corner infil post on the recomendations of the local sawmill. Featherboard tends to split and the thin edge is a weak area prone to rot and shiplap is ok but not the cheapeset which is also the same for the barrel profile. Just using thick boards may be more agricultural but works fine. All held in place with these screws with double threads to pull the boards in tight and the head is sunk.

https://www.ironmongerydirect.co.uk/product/spax-decking-screw-4.5-x-60mm-pack-of-250-751715

Ideally Cedar, Douglas Fir, Larch etc, especially since I’ve half decided to clad the back and sides with metal meaning I can spend a bit more on wood for the front face. I think a ‘neat’ industrial type look will work better as the facias and soffits have been done in plastics and while I like the idea of rough cut boards or something reclaimed I don’t think it would sit right.

Thanks for all the replies, a few leads to work on.

I used on line suppliers and had it delivered. There is a grading system for Cedar, so you can compare suppliers quotes to some extent. Basically the grading system gets you wood without knots if that's your thing. It's my thing.

Martin

Ideally Cedar, Douglas Fir, Larch etc, especially since I’ve half decided to clad the back and sides with metal meaning I can spend a bit more on wood for the front face. I think a ‘neat’ industrial type look will work better as the facias and soffits have been done in plastics and while I like the idea of rough cut boards or something reclaimed I don’t think it would sit right.

Thanks for all the replies, a few leads to work on.

The photo you posted in the other thread is a really fine quality cladding. I doubt you’ll get such from a uk sawmill for larch or Doug Fir. I think you’ll need western red cedar or possibly Siberian larch (if available due to sanctions)

The photo you posted in the other thread is a really fine quality cladding. I doubt you’ll get such from a uk sawmill for larch or Doug Fir. I think you’ll need western red cedar or possibly Siberian larch (if available due to sanctions)
That pic was really just to illustrate the wood against steel look, but to be honest I’m having as much trouble finding the steel - Cladco would be ideal but £190 deliver charge! I’ll contact them and see if they have any regular customers a bit nearer who might talk to me. Thanks for the tips though I’ve found a few suppliers of western red cedar online.

Yeah the delivery charges really sting sometimes, especially when you don't order enough material and have to place another order...
The key is trying to find local suppliers for a lot of things but it's not as easy as you would expect to do that in my experience, even when those local suppliers exist.

A good example would be flitch plates, it took me ages to find somewhere that would make me one, yet im pretty sure there will be loads of suppliers that would do it. And they would be closer than the 50 miles I drove to get one too.

Martin

Thanks
Hello,
If you go to one of the large mainstream timber suppliers such as Travis Perkins or Sydenhams they will have a timber mill at some but not all their yards. One buys 9 x 1 inch treated board in the longest length they have, 4.5/ 4.6 m perhaps. You asked them to cut it at an angle so that you get two equal lengths the same thickness. It is important you make sure you get them to understand equal thickness and cut at an angle to use as weatherboard cladding. You might get them to give you a sample. I have done this several times before but once it all had to be returned as their operator cut it all the wrong width, so I ended up with one length too thick, the other too thin. They even put it back in the treatment bath after it was all cut.
Regards

I bought a load of western red cedar shingles from Silva for our outbuilding without seeing them and the quality was excellent, albeit expensive.

1666561071228.jpeg

Hi Torx. If you want details of metal cladding, please drop me a pm as I work for the largest provider of metal cladding in UK and am based just outside Chester
Ian

Latest posts

Back