cl3

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gaz1981

Established Member
Reaction score
Im thinking of buying a record cl3 lathe has anyone got one that can tell me what there like please

Despite what many others say, the CL3 is a very reliable lathe.

I have been using one first as a hobby and then in my turning business for over 22 years.

Yes, it has it's drawbacks but for someone starting out is ideal.

Try and get to see one operating and I feel sure you will agree!

If you can afford it the variable speed is fantastic but it is not a priority, my own has still the 5 pulley selections and once you get used to their limitations almost anything is possible.

Do take the time before deciding to get as much information as possible about ALL the other lathes on offer!

Regards, Peter.

Ive been told to get a cl3 but im trying to find out whats the best lath for around the £500 mark really as I aint relly got any one to ask thats why I thought id put it on here

Re CL 3. I have been using this lathe for 5 years now and have found it ideal ,from bowls,spindle work, to pens.Yes it will be nice to have variable speed ,but have managed so far without .The only fault last year was a motor capacitor easily sorted at low cost.

I have a CL 3 and have been using one for a year now, does everything that I need it for and will hopefully still being used by myself in years to come. This was retirement present , problem I got 5 years to go before retirement.
There is someone selling up near me , selling CL3 lathe chisels and sharpening system.
For sale on Gumtree in Swansea.
Doesn't say if there is a stand included though , if the stand is included in the price then it looks a good buy for someone

I have a CL3 upgraded to a CL4 with a variable speed unit.
It will cope with whatever you want to chuck at it within reason.
Although I had problems with the (CL3) motor when 1st bought it, all has been OK since & I have turned things up to 24 inches in diam.
Just remember to put a couple of drops of oil in it every time you go to use it (5w30 car oil is what I use).

For your budget, I would look for a 2nd hand CL4 or upgraded CL3 though.

gaz1981":stdigclb said:
Do u know how much it is up fo

£395 , does not say a lot on the Ad, you will need to ask them if it includes the stand faceplates centres or Chucks as well. They are only £439 new from record online at the moment.
Just look at gumtree.com and type in Cl 3 for sale.

gaz1981":13olttkn said:
How come u have to put the oil in it everytime u use it is it noisy

The lathe has a bronze bearing which needs oiling not a problem just a drop or two
I have a cl3 upgraded to variable speed these lathes are virtually bullet proof

I have A cl3 and I had problems with the motors I had a few go down on me but on the whole I think its a fine lathe very versatile with a speed genie fitted I got it from hay dock motors with vari-speed its superb and turns well they say you can turn a 30 inch bowl with it but I haven't gone that big ,to be fair to Record power they sorted out my problems it was Yandles that were the suppliers that couldt be bothered so if your buying look around for a retailer that knows what they are selling and also give good customer support
Regards
Bill

EnErY":33wy35gg said:
I have A cl3 and I had problems with the motors I had a few go down on me but on the whole I think its a fine lathe very versatile with a speed genie fitted I got it from hay dock motors with vari-speed its superb and turns well they say you can turn a 30 inch bowl with it but I haven't gone that big ,to be fair to Record power they sorted out my problems it was Yandles that were the suppliers that couldt be bothered so if your buying look around for a retailer that knows what they are selling and also give good customer support
Regards
Bill
Ok thanks for that advise is there and shops u would recommend

Latest posts

Back