City and Guilds Furniture

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dovetaildave

Established Member
Reaction score
I just received this email from C&G;

Government announcement
Last week, the government announced that 60 SASE apprenticeship frameworks will be withdrawn for new starts from 1 December 2016. The 60 frameworks had low numbers of reported starts in the 2014/15 and 2015/16 funding years or have provision covered by developing apprenticeship standards. This change will not affect apprentices currently completing their apprenticeship on these frameworks.

635 Furniture, Furnishings and Interiors Manufacturing

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... 016_V2.pdf

Comments ?

Politicians don't understand others need to learn their trade.
All they need is an ability to lie without being embarrassed plus a lack of a moral compass

It certainly doesn't sound like a "march of the makers."

It is quite sad really, no thought goes into it, it just comes down to number crunching.

However, it shows how important forums like this are. As other channels of learning trades disappear, how useful it is that we can come on to forums like this and get virtually any tip about best methods, see details of other people's builds and get advice on equipment.

Nick

I'm not a fan of any politician but perhaps much of the training for these things can be done in house. I saw on the list "automotive clay modelling". I would assume that job still happens but is done in different ways so no point offering it anymore.

The jobs are still there in woodworking, plenty of them. If you wanted to go the "craft" furniture route best find someone to work with for a few years. You'd learn more real world skills on the job. You'd also soon realize if you liked the environment of having to make it pay. After all, an old school indentured apprentice would not be on day release? :).

There will always be a market for "craft" products but I'm not sure it's the job of government to train people for jobs that aren't there.

Why "waste money" on apprenticeships and college training when you can get all the trades you need from the EU,and on the cheap.This country is going to the dogs because the government promote short sited and short term.

A friend of mine has recently closed his carpentry business doing mainly site work,first and second fix.The business was started by his grandfather and had been running for over 50 years.They took on and trained 5 apprentices a year and put them through part time college courses for three years.He say the reason he closed was he could no longer compete with new gangs of east european carpenters who always undercut him which is no suprise when they live 10 to a room have no real uk living cost and do not take on the cost of training yougsters (this countries future).And some still want to stay in the EU.Lets spend the savings on training the next generation of trades people,they can't all work in "media " or moving cash around the world for profit.

As far as I'm aware funding for Carpentry and Joinery courses is still there but it is changing.I think money will be sent to employers to manage and it's going to be dished out on successful completion as there have been people dropping out after a period of time after time and effort form all parties. We currently have three apprentices so no need for any more for a while. It'll be interesting to see the lay of he land next time we do recruit.

Sorry to hear about the situation of the above business. Forces beyond the control of the business can end something good very quickly.

I'd love to do an apprenticeship. There's only so much banging bits of wood together on a bench that's not really fit for purpose I can do. Teaching myself is fine but I think I could really make a good go of it with some good support behind me.

When I left school and went to Uni, apprenticeships seemed to be a thing for people who weren't really focused enough to know what they were interested in and what they wanted to do. I know one guy who went through three before he settled on one and that was only because he found out he had a child on the way. I honestly don't think it's fair to get young people to decide what they want to do even in to their 20s these days.

As it is, I went to Uni, did a useless degree but somehow managed to fall in to a well paid job that I didn't love. Jumped ship with a decent redundancy payment after correctly deducing that budget cuts higher up would eventually reach my non-essential job, and finally found something I really enjoy in woodworking at 25.

Thus happened just as the government raised national minimum wage for over 25s, giving employers even less of an incentive to hire us.

I honestly think the education system is broken where it doesn't apply to STEM subjects, and even there we're lagging behind other countries. I believe we are heading towards an education crisis that will probably only be realised once a few generations have been left to rot, and a homelessness crisis based on stupid decisions like the one above. We have more and more people in each generation, which industries do they expect them to be funneled in to?

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

I think apprenticeships for a lot of the craft industries are going to disappear in the near future, it's going to become something that people have to make their own way in.

Dovetaildave":jqijdma6 said:

Government announcement
Last week, the government announced that 60 SASE apprenticeship frameworks will be withdrawn for new starts from 1 December 2016. The 60 frameworks had low numbers of reported starts in the 2014/15 and 2015/16 funding years or have provision covered by developing apprenticeship standards. This change will not affect apprentices currently completing their apprenticeship on these frameworks.

Comments ?

Thanks for posting, but what does this mean in practise? For example the C&G guys I know came through the building crafts courses in East London or the furniture making courses in Chichester, I've never actually heard of "Furniture, furnishings, and interiors manufacturing". Maybe (and hopefully) this is just a bit of tidying up and other furniture related C&G courses will still be available in the future? I appreciate the craft is under the cosh, but I hope the C&G future isn't quite as bleak as this perhaps suggests.

custard":3f5ts6v9 said:
Dovetaildave":3f5ts6v9 said:

Government announcement

Comments ?

Thanks for posting, but what does this mean in practise? For example the C&G guys I know came through the building crafts courses in East London or the furniture making courses in Chichester, I've never actually heard of "Furniture, furnishings, and interiors manufacturing". Maybe (and hopefully) this is just a bit of tidying up and other furniture related C&G courses will still be available in the future? I appreciate the craft is under the cosh, but I hope the C&G future isn't quite as bleak as this perhaps suggests.

In much the same vein, the builders merchants & timber trades are largely developing internal or co-operative training programmes for staff, either as customised programmes leading to NVQ's with local colleges or by becoming validated as an awarding body in their own right to deliver specific programmes...

C&G are but one of four or five possible tracks for delivering Vocational Qualifications... It just so happens that in several fields they're pre-eminent.

BearTricks":2ywn240t said:
I.....
Thus happened just as the government raised national minimum wage for over 25s, giving employers even less of an incentive to hire us......
If you think you are overpaid you are free to give some of it back. I'm sure your employer would be happy with this, especially as many of them are desperately hard up.
News today - Sports Direct director had to forego his £4million bonus, so it'll be the food bank for him! Very sad. I bet his overpaid employees are having a whip-round as we speak!

Jacob":27si913b said:
BearTricks":27si913b said:
I.....
Thus happened just as the government raised national minimum wage for over 25s, giving employers even less of an incentive to hire us......
If you think you are overpaid you are free to give some of it back. I'm sure your employer would be happy with this, especially as many of them are desperately hard up.
News today - Sports Direct director had to forego his £4million bonus, so it'll be the food bank for him! Very sad. I bet his overpaid employees are having a whip-round as we speak!

Surely the issue is the unnecessary stratification of the minimum wage... How is an unskilled 25 year old worth any more than an unskilled 18 year old or 21 year old, equal work deserves equal pay!

Equally a minimum wage for apprentices taken on before the age of 19 less than half the minimum wage for "adults" and almost half what they'd be paid in an unskilled job, is hardly an incentive for anyone who doesn't have someone to support them to even consider vocational training... Not to mention apprenticeships in "customer service" and the like, which are little more than scams to exploit the arbitrary nature of the system.

Latest posts

Back