Circular saw newb question

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davic

Established Member
Reaction score
Just wondering what peoples opinions are on cheap circular saws. I have one that is made by Skil, it's one I have borrowed and is heavy, noisy, a bit vicious and has no riving knife.

Would a £100ish makita or dewalt be any better? Is there any point in upgrading as this is the only one I've used I am just a hobbyist at the moment but nice tools are one of my very few I like having. Not into gadgets or anything, just wondering what the difference would be

Dav

Hi Davic , from one hobbiest to another. Won't try to give "advice" as such , more of a Dutch Uncle thing here. I use a saw from Canadian Tire , a McDonalds version of a hardware store here in Canuckia. It is a barely improved version of a worktop saw that came with an assemble her yourself base and Amercan standards of safety equipage. Bare minimum of a plastic crown guard and integral riving knife that must be unbolted for non through cuts. That said , I have done some work about the house with some good result. More care must be taken in keeping fingers attached and kickbacks from occuring and bare steel from spinning unexposed to fragile flesh , but I manage. So your wee saw and other cheapies can indeed be of use. However, it is always nice to upgrade to something more fit for use as a fine tool for fine work. My recommendation would be to get the best you can afford even if it hurts a little. To paraphrase something I read in a signature on here, it hurts once when you spend a lot on quality , and many tears and pain each time you use bargain carp. If you want a look at some top quality from years gone by , search for some of Wallaces restorations of "heavy metal". The nearer you get to those babies , the happier you will remain. So , to recap , buy the best you can afford. You will be happier.

Is it a hand held or table saw? If it's hand held a riving knife isn't too important, if it's a table saw, don't use it without one. If it's a hand saw put a good blade in it and it will be just fine.

Yeah thanks very much. I think I'll hang onto it for a while, its quite clumsy but I suppose I'll have to get better at using it

Oops, hand held is it ? Sorry I misunderstood. But the bit about buying quality stands.Probably less of an issue with a hand model though, All of my hand held saws are of the push pull push pull type in my hobby and fun area, a lot quieter you know. I do own a Mastercraft circular saw for the stuff in 2 by 4 work allotted by SWMBO , but do not enjoy using it. Nasty thing with its noise issues , get's through dimensional lumber in a hurry though and is portable. Once again , sorry for my misunderstanding your request for advice.

Just bought a bosch gks190 circular saw from axminster it doesn't come with a riving knife ether.

lanemaux":3u724r52 said:
Oops, hand held is it ? Sorry I misunderstood. But the bit about buying quality stands.Probably less of an issue with a hand model though, All of my hand held saws are of the push pull push pull type in my hobby and fun area, a lot quieter you know. I do own a Mastercraft circular saw for the stuff in 2 by 4 work allotted by SWMBO , but do not enjoy using it. Nasty thing with its noise issues , get's through dimensional lumber in a hurry though and is portable. Once again , sorry for my misunderstanding your request for advice.

No worries...

Latest posts

Back