cicular ring tipped woodturning chissel

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peter spratt

Reaction score
I just watched a short, very short , clipp of a turing chissel consisting of a shaped rong at the end where a blade tip should be any body know where to find them?

I just watched a short, very short , clipp of a turing chissel consisting of a shaped rong at the end where a blade tip should be any body know where to find them?
they are quite common metalworking bits, with replaceable ring tips, just buy a long shank version and put a handle on it.

Wherever you may find one, (I think I got mine at Axminster) you'll likely find it spends most of it's time in a rack, They are pretty tricky to use and tend to dig in a lot, especially in dry wood, less so with green, plus sharpening isn't easy either, you would be better off with a carbide tipped scraper.

Most modern deep hollowing tools, are modified versions of this type of ring tool. And have the addition of a limiter to prevent too deep a cut being made, and hence the inevitable catch. These are far easier to use.than the standard ring tool!
I have watched, in awe, a video of a Japanese woodworker, ,skillfully using a ring tool, to turn elm bowls. but I've never been able to master the technique myself. I might have another attempt in the future, but I;m quite content at present to use the modern version.

Termite hollowed Best on green wood not dry blanks

Back