Chucks & jaws

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keithie

Established Member
Reaction score
I've now managed to collect 5 sets of axminster jaws and two 100m axminster clubman chucks (plus I have wooden home made chucks)

I'm currently using the axminster c jaws in one chuck (I use those jaws on almost every piece I turn) and swapping the others in/out of the other chuck as required (g,h,cole & odonnell).

1. It seems to me that repeatedly switching chucks is going to shorten the life of the spindle thread no matter how careful I am. In practice is it unlikely that I'll ruin the thread over say 5 years of maybe 10 swaps per week so long as I'm careful?

2. I was wondering if there was much consensus about the 'best' way to switch jaws? (taking chuck off vs leaving on?, removing just the jaws or jaws& carriers?) Do most folk just have one chuck and switch jaws while its still on the lathe ?

any views would be welcome

cheers
Keith

I can't think that you'll wear the spindle thread out with that number of swaps - or a much greater number even. I find it easier swapping jaws while the chuck is on the lathe as I have all my jaws on their own slides. If this wasn't the case I'd probably do a swap with the jaws off as it's a bit fiddly doing the unscrewing.

stewart":2dve65n5 said:
I can't think that you'll wear the spindle thread out with that number of swaps - or a much greater number even. I find it easier swapping jaws while the chuck is on the lathe as I have all my jaws on their own slides. If this wasn't the case I'd probably do a swap with the jaws off as it's a bit fiddly doing the unscrewing.

I use an electric screw driver to change jaws on the lathe - works fine

Brian

1) don't worry re wear to spindle / thread - this is a non-issue. Just think of the number of graduate / Wadkin etc lathes in common use that have been used and abused for decades - I've never heard of a single one needed a new spindle due to wear on the thread. Even if there were any very minor wear, it will be to the thread but the location / accuracy is via the register not the thread, so even if the thread were very worn, an accurate location would still be achieved. (Don't forget, this is wood turning, not watch making!)

2) the most convenient method is definitely via a set of carriers for each set of jaws. I went down this route when I got my jaw sets although I notice that the carriers are now comparable in price to the jaws where they used to be only about 1/3 the price of a jaw set some years ago so I think there is some margin being recouped / made on these now.

If you dont go down the above route, then I'd think taking the chuck off may be easier but others will have direct experience.

Final message - don't over think stuff, just enjoy it! :D

S

Agreed. I swap the jaws out with the chuck still on the lathe (because it doesn't move about then). I have a set of carriers for each set of jaws so that part isn't a problem.

I have 4 chucks so for some operations (cole jaws and pin jaws for example) there is a dedicated chuck so when those are needed I swap the chuck. Its definitely faster to swap a chuck than swap jaws and there is no risk to the thread as long as you're careful when you first start it.

I have my most used sets of jaws each in their own chuck and the less used sets of jaws with jaw carriers attached so I swap jaws when needed by winding one set out and winding the other set in. Either way quicker than changing jaws by unscrewing them all but there is obviously a significant investment in chucks!

I have accumulated a lot of chucks (8 or 9 at last count) each with task specific jaws. It is not unusual for me to swap chucks 20 or 30 times a day. Sure wouldn't want to swap jaws that often, the small threads on the jaw bolts would likely wear out.

Thanks everyone ...seems like there is a bit of consensus for using carriers and little downside (apart from money!) of having one chuck per jaw set ....just need to win the lottery then I'm all good!

cheers
Keith

Yes, Bert D's approach with 8 or 9 chucks is not typical I have to say....but very luxurious because his approach is the most efficient in terms of faff at changeover time.

However, once you tune in to the whole chuck scene you'll quickly find that it's not just about buying new. 2nd hand chucks come up all the time......on here, on e bay, in your local turning club. So keep those eagle eyes sharp and you'll be picking them up for less than a new set of the bigger jaws from any of the normal suppliers. In the main, 2nd hand chucks are a good deal as being so solid they tend to wear well and remain useful for many years. The big enemy is rust and even that if superficial can be cleaned.

Also, although new, get yourself onto the Rutlands mailing list because typically twice a year, with Easter being one of those, they do a 20% off with free delivery sale. I picked up one of their classic 4" Dakota chucks 2 years ago for about £65 all in (incl delivery) and although its not my favourite chuck by any stretch, it's perfect for cole jaw use and so now they're on it permanently. £65 is difficult to beat and the equivalent of that price point will likely be offered again this coming Easter.

The Dakota chucks by the way, are compatible with Nova (Teknatool) jaws. I also have a supanova 2 so the Dakota can use all those jaws.

Having promoted cheapie chucks for secondary jaw sets, I still use the Axy Evolution 114 as my primary chuck because its engineering quality (concentricity and smoothness of the scroll mechanism) and the jaw sets are the best I've ever used. But you pay for that of course. So for me, my goto chucking system is the big Daddy of the Axy range but my other cheaper chucks provide ancillary support for all those other less commonly used jaws.

Yes I saw that Phil.....Canada has a lot of appeal for me oddly enough. Spent time over there visiting friends and skiing and it's a place I could happily live....especially with Oneway kit round every corner :)

Yes you do tend to collect them over the years once you have cottoned on to the fact that changing a chuck is easier than swapping jaws, it does also have the advantage of being able to leave a piece mounted whilst working on a matching component or process aid.
chucks.jpg

And of course there are the alternate jaws and spare carriers for when you move outside your regular holding pattern.
jaws.jpg

Attachments

• chucks.jpg
    chucks.jpg
    166.6 KB · Views: 1,079
  • jaws.jpg
    jaws.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 1,079
Thanks again...I'll keep my eyes open for more ...that's some collection Chas!

cheers
Keith

Back