Christmas presents - non lathe

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GCR

Established Member
Reaction score
Folks:

Several members have posted ideas for “home made” Christmas presents. Some years ago I made the following two, simple, presents and wonder if they would be of help to anyone?

The first is a table mat (trivet in triangular form). Very simple, just cross halving joints and a good rounding on the router. My wife commented that it would make a good OXO board so naturally I had to produce Xs and Os for a surprise present!

OXOphoto.jpg
[/img]

The second is a "note paper jotter block". I made a batch of 6, two in the photo are mahogany and black walnut, the other is burr oak. The joints are 6mm finger and the sides are used to support the ends and stop the sheets of paper falling out. The sides are just glued in position. Paper note pads can be purchased from Staples and are about 90mm cube.

paperholder.jpg
[/img]

Bob

I bet you have bought all your Christmas cards already as well. :D
I refuse to think about christmas till December it drives my wife nuts she has already done all her shopping.
Owen

brilliant, i'm just starting to think of things to make! I was planning on some trianglular trivits for my mum, reading your Os and Xs made me think of three to spell out OXO!

But I love the game idea, how do you work on such small items though, just holding it to work on seems too tricky.

Great ideas, I like them, 'specially the holders for the paper pads...bit more classy than yellow Pritt pads beside the keyboard - Rob

Matt_S and Mr

The Os were machinded from maple in a metal lathe, bit of a cheat but it made turning small pieces very easy. 44dia x 18deep. wall about 4mm

The Xs just cross halving joints 18 x 4 section

Bob

Lord Nibbo":1gpa8fnk said:
Two excellent ideas =D> I'm bookmarking this page so I don't lose it... :D

Same here - I like the design of the notepad holder so it's off to staples tomorrow to buy some paper blocks and get away from the lathe for a while! In response to a similar Christmas ideas thread on the lathes section I posted some snowmen I turned - the response has been amazing - there is a thirst for low cost (to produce) quality gifts. Thanks Bob

oddsocks,

those snowmen are absolutely wonderful. I have made a couple, plus one tree which leaves a little to be desired. My parting tool got a little dull and in dressing on the grinder, I inadvertantly introduced a slight taper. :oops:

I'll put that one down to 'experience'. :wink:

Back