A very unexpected christmas present

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richarnold

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Folks.
Just before Christmas I had an unexpected visitor drop by the house.
This was none other than new plane maker on the block, Ollie Sparks.
Ollie explained to me that he had been to see two of my oldest and dearest friends Bill And Sarah Carter, and they had asked him if he would mind dropping by with a small Christmas gift for me.
This was totally unexpected and left me very intrigued to say the least, but being a good boy I put the parcel under the tree ready for Christmas day.
Now anyone who has met Bill and Sarah will already know that you would be hard pressed to find anyone who is as kind, generous, and helpful in the hand tool world, But when I opened that parcel on Christmas morning I was knocked sideways.
The first time I met Ollie Sparks, he showed me a plane that he had made that was a new prototype he was working on. Although he had been using it he said he was not happy with it and wanted to change some aspects of the design. For me it was love at first sight. Ollie felt it did not sit quite right in his hand, but to me it fitted like a glove.
At the recent MAC timbers open day I had another chance to handle the plane Of all the works of art on show that day this was the one I could not stop picking up and handling. The ever observant Bill must have noted my enthusiasm that day, and has somehow managed to get Ollie to part with this work of art, and in an immense act of generosity made me custodian of this little beauty.
I sometimes think it is a shame that planes such as these often end up in collectors cabinets, but be assured, this plane will from now on see lots of active duty, Just like my other plane by Bill that I have been using for more than 20 years
For those of you interested in the technical side of things the plane is 4 7/8" long with a 1 1/4" wide cutter.

[/URL

[URL=http://s1263.photobucket.com/user/richarnold/media/003_zps8f7815d4.jpg.html]

Very nice plane Rich, I know you are going to put it to good use.

Pete

Yes very nice - is the sole in two pieces - looks like a complex dovetail joint on the side?

Rod

It's good to see a fantastic tool find its way to its right home!

Harbo":3qxiipdj said:
Yes very nice - is the sole in two pieces - looks like a complex dovetail joint on the side?

Rod
Hi Yes the sole is two pieces joined with a tonged and groove joint. The sides and sole are dovetailed together In the traditional manner.
This is tricky enough when the sides are straight, but in this case they are a gentle curve, with a splay at the back. Ollie follows on in Bills tradition in that this is all done by hand. This shows in the finished product. It seems to give them a softer, more tactile feel to them, as apposed to something heavily machined. It's hard to explain, but they just seem to have more "soul", and I find that using tools like this effect how I work at the bench.
Cheers, Richard.

How wonderful that this little beauty it has found it's natural home.

Lovely shape, gorgeous workmanship and that mouth is sooo fine!

How do you grip this plane? Will you please post a picture of it in your hand as held in use?

Thsnks
Bridger

Richard

Having had the opportunity of handling this plane at the MAC event, I was very impressed with the quality, design and shape of this beautiful plane. It seemed on a very brief try, to be easy to use. I can only hope is not a one off.
Mike

Hi chaps,

Thank you Richard, you're not wrong- Bill and Sarah's generosity is astounding, it seems every time their names pop up in conversation there is a story of their kindness attached. When I went to their house to drop it off, we talked tools for a while and when it was time to leave, he insisted I take his photo albums and a few rare books to study. The albums are a treasure trove of past planes (one album for rare antiques, one of his own work). Very touched he would trust me with them.

The plane is called 'slipper' on the original drawing, something low and sleek was the brief, visually I love it but sorry Richard I still think that wedge is a touch low on the palm! :lol: also, don't know if I mentioned this but the bridge is actually damascus steel, I'd be happy to etch it if you like? As for how he persuaded me to part with it....let's just say I'm now the proud owner something beautiful stamped BC. Speechless.

Thank you all for the comments! There is another one on the cards, also in bronze/rosewood. Possibly one for myself too in nickel silver/steel sole, but that will have to wait until I've cleared some orders.

Ol.

Yes...indeed...there are some beautiful works of art right there on this page.

It's funny...but of all the parts I love looking at in a quality hand dovetailed infill plane...the tongue and groove joint forming the mouth is the feature that gives me most pleasure.

When I first got tinkering with infill planes...I was astounded that dovetails could be formed by hand...but the techniques to form that T&G joint truly amazed me...and do even now.

When I took Henry apart..you could see the T&G from the inside...

20140923_211343.jpg

...beautiful.

Ollie..your work continues to amaze me and it goes without saying that Bill and Sarah are amongst the nicest couple one could me. It is their generosity which started me out in the tool tinkering lark...open generosity of information. Many have read his techniques pages and the clear and humble way he describes his art.

What a great story...no better guardian for that gem I can think of either. Marriage made in Heaven!

Jimi

Thanks Jim, couldn't agree more - I think many toolies have started on the path because of them, myself and yourself included!

The tongue and groove is good nerve/hacksaw practice, as you have to spend ages chopping, filing and smoothing the bed ramp before you can cut the grooves....not a good time for a wandering kerf!
alternate mouth.jpg

I've seen a few variations on it, but the T & G is the favourite. This one is quite funky, but probably wouldn't peen very well in a dovetailed shell.

Attachments

• alternate mouth.jpg
    alternate mouth.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 1,689
Hi Ollie.
Just to let you know The "slipper" has just had 3 days of hard labor planning some boxwood :)
So far the performance has exceeded my expectations. It has been an absolute joy to use.
On another note. I recall seeing a couple of examples of Robert towels work (mitre planes), where he had used the traditional tonged and groove at the mouth, but he had then drilled through the center of it and inserted a small steel pin. What the purpose of this was is a mystery to me
Cheers, Richard

We can only guess at the pin Ollie but I tell you this....the Robert Towell planes are my favourites!

I haven't got one...but will one day.

I did get Henry...so it's close enough....

20140409_103638.jpg

...and what a lovely plane it proved to be!

Keep up the great work my friend...I am learning from you by the minute!

Jimi

Richard, very happy to see this!! and from a man who cracks out the Norris and Carter so often! As a maker I accept that part of my target audience is to the collector - as such some planes don't see a lot of use, so its the highest compliment and a real delight to see one being caned on the runway :D not sure what the pin is about as the T&G is forced closed anyway by peening in selected spots? Ive seen only one other pin joint used on an old plane, its an unusual arrangement for a shoulder plane bed, cant decide whether it's brilliant or flawed logic......

21312b copy.jpg

p.s. what is the boxwood for?
p.p.s. nice parrot!

Jim, Many believe Towell to be the earliest recorded infill maker no? (correct me if wrong). Bill tells me that a Towell smoother and panel planes exist, must be the ultimate Holy Grail, squirrelled away in a cabinet somewhere!

also, looking at your website (excellent by the way) and the discussion on heat treatment, knife makers forums would be right up your street. a lot of different types of steels are used, tested, talked about. Some of the information on hardening/normalising/tempering/grain sizing etc. is interesting reading - particularly 01, of course.

As for decarburization, there are auto products for hastily repairing exhaust systems that you paste onto bare metal, when heated it adheres to the surface forming a gas-tight seal but doesn't insulate if applied thinly..... see where i'm going with this :wink:

Attachments

• 21312b copy.jpg
    21312b copy.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 669
Hi Ollie

Yes...I am keeping my eyes peeled for Towells....not sure whether I will ever find one but there ya go.

On knifemaking...yes...I am a member of a few...as you say..cross-fertilization with tool making in general and I love the idea of exhaust repair paste..has to be bloody cleaner than the clay...although I don't know what it would do when quenching from 800 degrees...I know how the clay responds now.

Take care and thanks for the tips

Jimi

Richard, very happy to see this!! and from a man who cracks out the Norris and Carter so often! As a maker I accept that part of my target audience is to the collector - as such some planes don't see a lot of use, so its the highest compliment and a real delight to see one being caned on the runway :D not sure what the pin is about as the T&G is forced closed anyway by peening in selected spots? Ive seen only one other pin joint used on an old plane, its an unusual arrangement for a shoulder plane bed, cant decide whether it's brilliant or flawed logic......

I put a through pin near the mouth on my shoulder planes to stop the sides getting bent out, its surprisingly easy to do.

Pete

Jim, ah I should have known your already on the case! The paste fractures when quenched, sounds similar to your clay. I have only done a few blades but worked ok, didn't muddle the oil too much. Thinking on it, not sure it would be great for the floats as its a pig to remove from nooks and crannies....
It can also be pasted on real thick in a pattern to make the Hamon on a knife blade, but the hardening must be done accurately to show well - not a problem with your kiln.

Forgive me Pete I should have explained better, I understand the purpose of the pin, but regard it as unusual because the dovetail arrangement: typically the front bed and wear are made up from the sole (i.e. a half pin either side of the mouth) rather than sandwiched between the two sidewalls, if you squint you can just make it out on this old Spiers;

Spiers2.jpg

how do you find this setup in use? I love the look of it, and with a pin I can't see why it wouldn't be as supportive. I'd love to stress test two planes, one with this config. one without, to see which supports the iron better. Of course, that would mean destroying both test specimens....not sure I could go through with it!

Attachments

• Spiers2.jpg
    Spiers2.jpg
    159 KB · Views: 559
Mine are made from plates with through rivets, so the plate at the side of the mouth is easy to bend when filing the bed, the pin firms things up (and a spot of super glue).
I use thin brazing rod probably 2mm or so as near as I dare to the mouth.

Pete

Back