Chopping board finishes??

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wizer":1fj1gluq said:
'Catch' Up Pete...

yep i was bowled over by the news, very slow to read the spin and will find myself on a sticky wicket if i keep on with these puns

hat, coat, door....

I hadn't realised this thread was running on.......

-

Just so as to confirm my BOF status (O standing for old).........cricket bats have been covered in various coatings for the last 20 or 30 years, ranging from polyurethane through shrink wrap plastics to an amazing tough plastic that was iinvented to line helicopter blades. I never saw a single professional cricketer with an oiled bat in my 20 year career, although I well remember the smell from my childhood.

Mike

No, The best finish for a chopping board is Castrol GTX

You lot must chop very slowly to get away with Castrol GTX, let alone used stuff. Synthetic only for me.

Just a little wandering I think, lol.

I've just been and had a rumage in the offcuts shed and come out with some European Beech and European Walnut, I think it'll make a nice chopping board or two.

I made 5 hard maple and purpleheart (wood whisperer style) chopping boards for Christmas.

After lots of research. I finished them with Liquid Paraffin BP available from a chemist

Liquid paraffin and mineral oil are the same beast and do form the basis for baby oil.

I paid about £1 for 150ml and used 1.5 bottles, I also added some pure beeswax to some warmed liquid paraffin to make a more waterproof outer finish.

You may have to persuade the pharmacist to sell you more than one bottle at a time, as it is sold as a laxative ... they may be worried that you may go OTT with the laxative ...... I couldn't quite figure out why, especially given the warning that if you take too much, a side effect is it leaking out of your $$%! ..... nice

Its a bit messy but penetrates the wood well and using the old aadage

once a day for a week
one a week for a month
once a month for life

the boards should last forever.

hope this helps Simon

The_Stig said:
Hi,

Does anyone know what the best finish is for chopping boards.

Nothing.

Personally I wouldn't use oak as it's porous.
I made two chopping boards - just out of plain board - one in mahogany and one in maple. That was 28 years ago and we still use them every day.

wizer":2gfthqxo said:
here's what beech and iroko look like

DSC_0088.JPG

Wizer - i just stumbled across this post but am impressed both by the chopping board and the leather worktop :)
I've got beech and iroko offcuts so will have a go.

Dave

*** Mistake made ***

I chopped the board up ready to make it into a butcher block style but I hadn't flattened it quite right by hand so now the sections don't fit flush... back to the drawing board.

Back