Chipped plane mouth = ruined?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Water-Mark

Established Member
Reaction score
Last year I bought a joblot of tools and I'm now getting to the end of it.
One of the remaining planes is a Stanley no4 with a chipped mouth, however it's an older model with the us pat apr 19-10 casting.
My question for the more experienced than me (thats pretty much every body on here ) is can it be saved or is it even worth trying?

1413726162521_zpse4286e26.jpg

Hi.
Have a look at the excellent, sensible answer Cheshire Chappie gave in this thread
https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/granite-worktop-offcut-for-lapping-plate-t84234.html
and apply the same logic.

In other words, sharpen the iron, put it in the plane and use it.

You will almost certainly find that the chip makes no discernible difference to how the plane performs, even if it has reduced the amount it would fetch if you wanted to sell it.

As Andy says you'll find no problem.

I have a No.5 with as bad a chip but in use I can tell no difference between it and one that is perfect.

Thanks fellas, i gave it a clean and borrowed a blade from another plane and it seams to work fine so i cleaned up a breaker and sharpened an iron for it and it's joined the others on the shelf.
One of these days i'm going to actually have to make something with them.

Out of 40 odd very rusty planes it feels good to have only lost two for scrap and one record no 3 needing a blade, breaker and lever cap but the rest are now fully functional.
Even if the set does include a bitsa made up of millers falls, record, stanley and rapier parts.

Thanks.

Out of interest, was the chip in the toe or the heel of the sole (not that it matters, but I'm curious)

BugBear

Examining the photo closely I think I can see the curve of the front of the plane at the bottom. So I'd say the chip is heel side.

This might be a matter of wood species but I find it very difficult to get a good result with a plane that has a too wide mouth. I work mostly pine and birch.

If the chip is on the toe side I would file the damaged area more regular and fit a piece of iron and silver solder it in place. Then I would file the underside of the patch even with the sole and then flatten the sole.
If the chip is n the heel side it does not matter and I would not bother to repair it.

If the chip is on the heel side, then smooth it off and use the plane as if it were not there.

If the chip is on the toe side, smooth it off and (1) do a little reading about using the chip breaker to reduce tear out, or (2) add a 15 degree back bevel to the blade to create a 60 degree cutting angle. Neither of these set ups require a closed up mouth.

Regards from Perth

Derek

If the chip is on the Toe side and you want to keep and use the plane, I would file it back and fit new 3mm Iron and 3mm Cap Iron which would just about negate the amount of filing you needed to have done, if on the heel side I would just use it as is. If you are not planning to use it but just sell it on I wouldn't bother filing as by the time you buy replacement iron and cap iron there would not be much 'profit in it'

Ed Bray":3dzv0cwe said:
If the chip is on the Toe side and you want to keep and use the plane, I would file it back and fit new 3mm Iron and 3mm Cap Iron which would just about negate the amount of filing you needed to have done, if on the heel side I would just use it as is. If you are not planning to use it but just sell it on I wouldn't bother filing as by the time you buy replacement iron and cap iron there would not be much 'profit in it'

Ed, it would be necessary to modify the Y-adjuster as well if you try this. The basic Stanley is not able to adjust thick blades.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Thanks for the replies.
The chip is on the heel side so looking good.
I wouldn't have the heart to bin it, brief investigation suggests it's from the 1920's.

Water-Mark":ybaj1mf2 said:
Thanks for the replies.
The chip is on the heel side so looking good.
I wouldn't have the heart to bin it, brief investigation suggests it's from the 1920's.

Since the blade is mainly supported by the frog, this chip doesn't matter; I would be concerned if the chip were merely damage at the end of a crack (which would imply that the frog is breaking the sole).

BugBear

Having had a good look at it I suspect it's been dropped or had something dropped on it as there's no cracks or stress risers around the chip and i don't think it was done very recently either looking at the wear to the edges of the chip itself I suspect it's had use since it was done.

I have three other no 4's ready to go and two others needing new irons so I doubt it'll see much use but it's nice to know it lives to shave another day.

As an aside are there any good guides on older plane values or production numbers etc.
I'd hate to come across something rare and bin it through ignorance

Water-Mark":1ycbs816 said:
As an aside are there any good guides on older plane values or production numbers etc.
I'd hate to come across something rare and bin it through ignorance

There are in the USA, but I believe that the best of the guides are themselves rare and collectible.
You can try posting pictures here and asking for information - many members are very generous with their time and expertise.

Otherwise the best guide to current prices is a completed listings search on eBay, provided you can tell the difference between the tool you have got and the (possibly misnamed, misdescribed) one in the pictures.

To an average townsman, all sheep look much the same - but no sheep farmer would mistake a Hardwick for a Merino.
A similar principle applies to tools!

Herdwick, Hardwick - I think I've proved that I'm no countryman!

But I can spot a good Hildick sometimes

IMG_0603.jpg

:lol: :lol:

Back