Childs Bed

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Martin_S

Established Member
Reaction score
Am planning to build a bed for my grandson, had something like this in mind:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/8 ... L1500_.jpg

Would appreciate some thoughts:

- I could build the ends and back from sheet or I could use M&T posts and rails. My fear is that it will be a lot more structurally sound made out of sheet and considerably less effort than posts and rails. Any recommendations?
- If I use sheet, I presume I need to use ply as opposed to MDF. What do I need to do to ensure smooth, rounded edges? In the past I have had issues with splintering
- It also needs to be taken apart and moved eventually, if I go the post and rail route, obviously bed bolts on the rails is the way to go. If I use sheet, is there an alternative to screwing together that results in a sturdy but non-permanent solution?

Sorry - just thinking out loud on where to start and how best to do this - all suggestions / comments welcome.

18mm MDF
2x2 or 3x3 posts in the corners and on top of those as mattress board support. make three end panels, middle one stops at mattress height, and sandwich simple staircase between that and the end one.

fort bed front.png

with steps.png

Attachments

• fort bed front.png
    fort bed front.png
    83.1 KB · Views: 277
  • with steps.png
    with steps.png
    149.4 KB · Views: 277
Sounds good and simple - very strong and quick / easy to make, which are all positives. Not much craft in the construction but I can live with that if the end result is good.

Surely a middle 'end panel' will reduce the play area under the bed? Or do I misunderstand the design?

He means one at each end of the mattress then the last one at the other side of the stairs - the middle one (to the far right of the mattress) stops below the height of the mattress.

yep, what angelboy says. a full sized end to act as a bannister for the stairs and a shorter end at the foot of the mattress so no hard edges to crawl over. make the stairs as a separate unit so the open space underneath the bed would be the size of the mattress.

After consultation with the client (surprising how specific 2 year old clients can be), I am opting for a 'stairs at the end, slide on the side' design using MR MDF as recommended by Nev and others - many thanks!

Sheets arrive Wednesday and then full steam ahead, though am spending hours designing the stairs in my head - I have 3 ft front to back and a rise of 2ft9" and a right angle left turn onto the bed at the top. Struggling to decide whether to go with 6 or 8 steps, whether to build to a platform at the top or to shape the top couple of steps so that the top one is wider at the bed end and the one below mirrors that being narrower at the bed end.

Feel free to tell me if I am over designing this and that there is a simple solution that is ideal for toddlers...

Nev & AngelBoy, Just to close this one and thank you both for your inspiration and explanations - my original design developed to look a lot like your suggested design and was built from 18mm MR MDF as suggested. Thoroughly enjoyed it (as did the recipient shown in 3 places in the photo).

Thanks! And now onto something new.....

Attachments

• Finlays Bed Small2.jpg
    Finlays Bed Small2.jpg
    166.3 KB · Views: 105
Nice bed, but GREAT wallpaper. I'll be making a bed for my nipper soon, I may build something similar. It looks like a success.

Looks great. I made a similar type bed for my eldest daughter about 10 years ago, it is still being used by youngest and has moved house twice. I went for something very similar with 3x3 posts to make the legs and the frame for the base of the mattress with wooden slats and used 18mm MDF to provide me with the look. I'll try and find a photo or take one.

Cracking! It reminds me of the bus I built for my son some 20 years ago. Double decker with a bed upstairs, and downstairs fitted out for play. I even made a ticket machine from an old manual adding machine, which used supermarket till rolls as tickets and a butchered one of these for dispensing change.
Unfortunately being in a time before digital cameras there are no surviving photos of it.

Back