Chess set

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KimG

Little Woodworm
Reaction score
I just noticed in the Feb challenge thread a request to show any sets made, I have made several complete chess sets and took a Silver medal at the bristol woodworker show with one in 1985 or 86 (can't remember!) But my favourite set is the one I made for myself based on a design taken from a book published in 1842 "Lewis on Chess"

The woods are Laburnum for the black pieces and Hawthorn for the white, the photos are not the best being over sharpened, but they were taken quite a few years ago!

Black%20Power.jpg

Black%20Ranks.jpg

Close%20Knight.jpg

Opening.jpg

White%20Ranks.jpg

Ta! Just the way it has happened to be Dick, I did nothing special to it.

I personally Think They are fantastic and both Excellent turned And finished iv never attempted such a feat and wish I could my view is they are something to be proud of =D> =D> =D> ......... =D> Well Done thank You For Showing quality
Regards
Bill

EnErY":1s65bar6 said:
I personally Think They are fantastic and both Excellent turned And finished iv never attempted such a feat and wish I could my view is they are something to be proud of =D> =D> =D> ......... =D> Well Done thank You For Showing quality
Regards
Bill

+1 for Bill's statement. As my daughters would say ... Awesome!!

=D> =D> =D> =D>

You have my admiration, not just for the craftsmanship but for your patience. All that copying would drive me nuts LOL.

Pete

Skill and patience, and it shows. :mrgreen:
i cut up a large Hawthorne some weeks ago and it has turned a definite orange colour some of it has some darker streaking in it and a few pieces have split, no pith anywhere in sight.

Andy

Absolutely fantastic. You have duel skills of both Woodturning and carving. Do you consider yourself more of a Turner than Carver or the other way round. Carving I would say, being so slow, needs much more patience.
John

Oh my! I am humbled by such acclaim really, you guys all do such super stuff, much thanks indeed!

Definitely more of a Turner John, I only carve out of necessity!

The set I made for Bristol had Turned knights, it was a big set, the king was 9" tall, the knights were about 4.5" tall, with a standard type base, a fat middle and a pointed head like a knights helmet, then I made thin 9" lances and drilled an angled hole in the middle bit for them, the lances were then forward over the pawns, they looked pretty impressive, the queen had a long pointed hat and a bit of silk (A wimple!) it was all meant to be a bit medieval, the contest was to "design and make an ingenious chess set" designing a knight you could turn was, I thought, pretty ingenious at the time, but I am well impressed with Dennisk's knights, clever idea that!

Latest posts

Back