Cherry dining room bench

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lee J

Established Member
Reaction score
Newly made Cherry dining room bench. Gonna have lots of bums on it over it's life, what product would be an ideal finish for it?

I have some furniture wax I use on oak things but I think there maybe a better product more suited to furniture than that.

What about any of the following...

Liberon Finishing oil
Danish Oil
Teak Oil

would a Liberon Finishing oil be a good choice?

I've seen it at £13.50 for a litre can

Consider oil based varnish, sometimes described as solvent based, for interior work: the clue is in the clean up where it says on the tin to use white spirits for this task. Avoid oil based marine or yacht varnish both of which are long oil varnishes designed for exterior woodwork and therefore too soft and therefore generally not suited to interior applications. All of your suggestions are basically weak versions of varnish anyway, so it's maybe worthwhile considering the "real thing". Slainte.

Hi

My choice would depend on it's intended use. If it was unlikely to suffer from liquid spills etc. I'd go for Danish oil followed by wax, (and subsequent periodic re-waxes). If it was going to come into contact with kids and the associated spills, crayons, sticky fingers etc. I'd go for varnish, (for it's wipe clean ability), - I've used Ronseal in the past and been very happy with it.

Regards Mick

Back