Cherry Box

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keefaz

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, all!

I've done some horrible practical MDF things, but this is the latest pretty thing I've finished. I think this is cherry, but maybe someone will correct me!

3ed7c1c001.jpg

I'm not happy with the dovetails as I think I've got worse at them rather than better. You can see that I couldn't be bothered to put a stopped groove in the lid so I simply grooved with a Stanley combo plane I got at a market a fortnight ago and then stopped up the ends with that white pine. The bottom is cedar of Lebanon (although you can't see it)... but what is the top?! Cedar as well?

You'd think a woodworker would know what wood he's working with, wouldn't you? :D

Keefaz - nice box - top definitely looks C of L, but like Philly, not sure about the other timber - Rob

I found some infos! I think the wood came in a bundle of laburnum or yew?

Definitely not cherry (at least from my side of the pond) or brazilian cherry, the grain is waaay too strong.

It's funny you should mention being a woodworker and not knowing what would you are working with, I go through that all the time. Every once in a while I'll find a cuttoff of some tree and won't have a clue as to what it is. Usually I'll figure it out once the wood has been planed down, but sometimes I still don't know.

Yeah, wasn't at all sure about the Jatoba guess. If I had a pound for every piece of wood I've used that I'm not sure what it is, well I'd have enough for a cubic foot of this stuff. Erm, not sure what it is exactly, looks kinda like... :wink:

Cheers, Alf

Latest posts

Back