cheap workbench?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mqbernardo

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I´m thinking of buying a new, cheap workbench. I wonder what are your opinions (if any) on these two models:

- Sjobergs Nordic Plus ( http://www.axminster.co.uk/sjobergs-nor ... 1450-bench )

- Rutlands Joiners workbench ( http://www.rutlands.co.uk/sp+woodworkin ... a+m_dk2700 )

Sjobergs has a reputation (maybe from their elite benches?), but the Rutland´s seems a bit more robust on the pics. My needs will be light (guitar building, mostly planing thin plates) but i do need a bench without flex. I know i could try to build one myself, but i lack the power tools and only have a small workshop, which is already pretty damn packed.

Thanks in advance,
Miguel.

You do not want a bench to rack and move so if the back and ends are filled in and or bench is fixed to shop structure you should be good if that's not possible then you need large sturdy joints.

For ~ £300 you can purchase the necessary materials for a much better bench than these and build the thing yourself.
You might, also, fare better if you buy locally a second hand old bench. Often all you would need to do is to flatten the top and tighten some joints.

Thanks fro the replies,

I guess i could try to build a bench - the main problem with rolling my own being that i don´t have any dedicated power tools to make it easier. I don´t have routers, thicknessers, planers or tablesaws . I´d also rather invest my woodworking time into something more rewarding for me.

A colleague of mine did manage to grab an old workbench - it really looked like it was end of the line for it, but he managed to make it into this, but it did take him a lot of time.

Best,
Miguel.

Attachments

• bench.jpg
    bench.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 3,502
2 sawhorses and a firedoor would be a quick way of making a bench with limited tools. You would have a nice heavy flat top that way.

I have 2 of those Rutlands 1500mm benches, and one of their (now discontinued) smaller one.

Don't assume that because I have 3 they're the bees knees, but the 1500mm ones don't totally suck.

I'd have preferred to make my own, but lumber in the UK is painfully expensive and I was just starting to put together a small wood shop after moving to the UK from Canada. Few tools meant making a semi-decent bench of the sort I was used to having wouldn't have been easy, so I bought a small bench first. It kinda sucked, and I regretted not buying the bigger one - so I bought the bigger 1500mm one. Worked out ok, so I bought a second one.

Upsides: Hardwood, cheap, sturdy, 2 cheap-but-serviceable vices. You won't fall in love with them, which means you won't hesitate to modify them to suit your needs - i.e. more dog holes, adding/changing vices, etc.

Downsides: they're fairly light for workbenches. They're also on the short side for me, but that's easy to fix by bolting risers on to the feet of the bench.

Working in an apartment (my shop is in my kitchen/dining area) I use a lot of hand tools - so one bench is set up for dimensioning lumber. The lightish weight of the bench means that jointing and planing boards can be a bit of a pain - the bench will move. Now part of that is because half the bench is on linoleum and the other half is on carpet, but if the bench weighed another 50kilos it would be a big help. I do plan on modifying that bench to add weight and increase my work holding options, but as it stands it's not a bad bench.

Keeping in mind I bought them when they were on sale for £200 each. Buying enough cheap pine from my local lumber yard for a bench would have cost me £150, so the extra £50 was a fair price to pay to have a hardwood bench I could use right away. Not to mention the 2 vices.

Another option you might want to look at is to buy an oak counter top from Ikea - http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/produ ... #/50273795

They're cheap - the beech ones are £80 for L: 186 cm/D: 63.5 cm/ Thickness: 2.8 cm

Make up some trestle style legs from 100x100 fenceposts and bolt them to the top and you'd have a rock solid bench that you could tweak and modify to suite your needs as you went along. Or buy two of the tops and glue them together to create a 2" thick worktop that would be practically bulletproof.

Sorry for the rambling response, but in a nutshell the Rutlands bench isn't a bad deal when it's on sale. There are other options if you can spend a little more time in putting the bench together, but if you can't then you'll not likely be too unhappy with the Rutlands one.

Oh, and they really shouldn't call it a joiners bench. It's... really not.

dak.

(edit - I just looked up the price I paid for them and adjusted my post - I'd thought I'd paid 248, I actually paid 199 - same price they are now it looks like.)

Miguel, this sounds sensible.

I built my bench as my first proper WW project. Like you I don't have any machinery and it took forever! Yes, I now have a heavy bench that I really quite like but it was a long journey to get there.

My old man has a Sjobergs bench which is fine. It's not as heavy weight and the vices rack awfully, but it is a surface to work on. It would always be possible to change the vices in time if they were a problem.

Mike

mqbernardo":3h26ic1d said:
Thanks fro the replies,

I guess i could try to build a bench - the main problem with rolling my own being that i don´t have any dedicated power tools to make it easier. I don´t have routers, thicknessers, planers or tablesaws . I´d also rather invest my woodworking time into something more rewarding for me.

A colleague of mine did manage to grab an old workbench - it really looked like it was end of the line for it, but he managed to make it into this, but it did take him a lot of time.

Best,
Miguel.

I'm about to re finish my own that I built 15 years ago. If I didn't have machinery I'd definitely go for the Sjoberg. It looks great value for money if you ask me.

The oak worktop idea looks good, until you try and plane it flat. You would have a nightmare with tear out with grain running in both directions at once.

mqbernardo":3lgmn7nb said:
Hi all,

I´m thinking of buying a new, cheap workbench. I wonder what are your opinions (if any) on these two models:

- Sjobergs Nordic Plus ( )

- Rutlands Joiners workbench ( )

I have the Rutlands bench, with some modifications...

bench1.jpg

I raised it a little, added a shelf at the bottom and added some bracing at the base (there's a lengthwise beam under the bottom shelf joining the new base pieces, as well as the 4x2s at the bottom of the legs). It is now far more rigid than in its standard form. I'm not really a hand tool user so I can't say for sure, but I think you could get away with some pretty heavy planing on it, it takes a hell of a push to get it to move, and then it doesn't rock at all, it just slides across the floor.
Clamp rack on the back adds a useful bit of mass too...

bench2.jpg

Attachments

• bench1.jpg
    bench1.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 3,529
  • bench2.jpg
    bench2.jpg
    168.3 KB · Views: 3,530
I've got the Sjoberg and it's OK. The vices are basic but you can swap them out later if you find you need something more substantial. The main weakness is the quality of the drawers and the sliding panel beneath the top. Both are very flimsy and made out of 6mm ply so opening and closing is a faff as they move around a lot and I end up using brute force which doesn't help. I replaced the panel closure with a couple of doors and inserting a shelf. This has worked much better and gives me better use of the space for storage.
If you are not time poor and have the tools you could make a nice bench for the money you intend to spend; however, depending on how much you splash out on vices this could significantly increase the cost.

Cheers
Andy

How about making your own from 4 x 2 timbers glued /screwed together with a double thickness ply/mdf top? That way you get a cheap bench with minimal tools. Plus it gives you chance to use it and decide what features are not needed / needed and get some experience / tools etc :)

Back