"Off the shelf" vs DIY workbenches

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It did come with 3 vices (a 4th had obviously been there but was now missing), and interesting mix of 52 1/2, 52, and 52 P. The only work so far is to remove one of the vices and tighten the fixings and replace the wooden facings on the other two. They do need a proper strip and clean though.
The side rails are somewhat chopped about but it doesn't seem to affect rigisity at the moment.

Just done a quick google on the vices and it looks like the 52 is from the 1920's, the 52P from somewhere between the 40s and the early 60s (Version V face design but P nomeclature supposedly came in with version VI) and the 52 1/2 from somepoint after 1963. I've only used this source so far
https://smallworkshop.co.uk/2018/04/17/record-vice/
This workbench is a bit of a Frankenstein's monster, assembled from bits left over I assume as older workbenches were destroyed and rebuilt. It is entirely possible that when I strip the vices down they are not entirely original.
Why is it I seem to get more involved in the tools and the rebuild of equipment than actual making proper stuff?

Urgh I need a new bench and I could probably spend all my time making benches from all the available designs.

I’m still not decided, mainly because a lot of the benches I see are made by people who have access to machinery and/or components that are in the “you gotta be very committed” field.

Urgh I need a new bench and I could probably spend all my time making benches from all the available designs.

I’m still not decided, mainly because a lot of the benches I see are made by people who have access to machinery and/or components that are in the “you gotta be very committed” field.

What tools do you have? I think most of the videos you see with people using expensive shop tools to make a wooden bench do so because they have the equipment. I built a large workbench/table for an ex-girlfriend so she could start a new hobby of framing prints. She bought all of the lumber from the hardware store, and the only tools I used were a cross-cut handsaw, framing square, speed square, tape measure, framing hammer, and nails. The frame was made with 4x2's and the work surface and lower shelf were 3/4-inch plywood. The worksurface was covered with carpet to protect the frames and matt board. As far as I know, she is still using it.

Hi Toby, you might be able to turn those top planks over, that was quite a bargain really for three vices. Have fun!
I thought about that, but there is a rebate on each that sits over the centre plank. Careless work with saws has mean there are corners missing and one side being shorter than another. I haven't worked out how the planks are attached to the frame yet, I haven't spent long looking but there are no obvious coach bolts or tenons.

I'm happy with the vices. I could probably resell them and recoup most of the cost. But I won't. Not because I shouldn't, but because I find it hard to get rid of old tools (and books). Which is why I have a garage I can barely fit in after the bench has gone in.

I've always found such things to be a bit odd. In that we are woodies, cabinet,joiner,carpenter and making a bench should be something we can all do without much effort.
Some of those benches, while very nice and also really bloody expensive, and I'd much rather spend that outlay on tool,machines or timber.
Im a qualified furniture maker/designer and the family balks at the idea that i would make the three piece suite, rather than go off to wherever to buy them there. To me, and im not insulting anyone, but if you can make a chair and you are buying them, then maybe its time for a new career. I spent 4 years at college learning design, to my mind im the best person to decide and to undertake such a project, but the fam doesnt seem to appreciate this.
I sometimes find their attitude a bit depressing.

Im beginning to think they don't like Gustav Stickley:LOL::ROFLMAO:

I think I've decided on the bench I'm going to replicate, maybe not exactly but at least following the concept. It means doing away with built-in vices, although I generally don't use mine much apart from holding jigs and shooting boards.

I'm a qualified furniture maker/designer and the family balks at the idea that i would make the three piece suite, rather than go off to wherever to buy them there. To me, and I'm not insulting anyone, but if you can make a chair and you are buying them, then maybe its time for a new career. I spent 4 years at college learning design, to my mind I'm the best person to decide and to undertake such a project, but the family doesn't seem to appreciate this.
'twas ever thus - ‘Only in his home town, among his relatives and in his own house is a prophet without honour’ (Mark 6:1-6).

I've been earning a living building PC's for over 30 years but my family buy elsewhere - - - -

unless I present a gift 🤷‍♂️

Back