cheap washer dryer ducting for table saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

technium

Established Member
Reaction score
It should work - its spiral reinforced - BUT; dryer venting is designed to work on the outlet not under vacuum and its terrifically lightweight will it handle being dragged around sharp corners?

I think it may collapse, As mentioned above, air is pushed through it not pulled as a vacuum would. It's not that expensive so I would give it a try. I have some in the garage so I'll give it a go. Thanks for the idea!

technium":16m61cd3 said:
..and was wondering if this would work?

I would say No, its very lightweight and designed for low positive pressure, normal dust extraction use will collapse its length.

Two of my extractors in the shed will compress 63 and 100mm heavy duty stuff into a solid tube against the spring reinforcing if blocked off, the lightweight ventilation ducting would stand no chance.

I found that whilst it does not collapse it will contract. It is easily snagged and ripped. Use the proper stuff and shop around for offers/discounts.

ducting size is a mass of confusions. 100 mm could be inner or outer diameter. A 100 mm hose will not fit into or over a 100 mm blast gate but will slip over a 100 mm pipe (which in turn will fit inside a 100 mm fitting).

Run your ducting in rigid pipe wherever possible. Flexible spiral hose causes massive friction and therefore power losses. Only use short lengths of hose to connect to a portable machine, or if you truly cannot do the job in rigid.

For what it costs, you're better off with the real thing. Dryer hose is very weak and will soon be damaged.

Yandles hold stock of the kind of stuff you need. Product code list:

Y Piece 100mm - CHR100Y
Reducing Cone 100mm to 63mm (e.g top extraction on a startrite 351)- CHR100-63RC
100mm fleixble hose - P2PU100FLEX
Wall bracket for 100mm hose - CHR100WH

But as sunnybob says, rigid is always better if its well designed. It's worth taking your time with planning because it makes such a huge difference if you get it right.

PS. I'm not commercially connected to Yandles in any way except as a customer.

Thanks guys so general consensus is not to bother so will have a look at Axminster and yandles etc for the best deal to try and create the setup I want.

See thats why I come here, best to ask a question if not sure.

thanks again

Colin

I use dryer hose on a few of tools, most commonly my sandblaster. It is very flexible and stores easily when not needed. Yes you do need to handle with a little care but I find I get 2-3 years out of a hose before it needs replacing and they can be picked up for a few £'s or less, especially at a boot sale where they are often 50p. Also excellent for creating up impromptu dust collection setups for odd jobs.

axminster sell packs of 4 x 1 metre 63 mm tubes. I'm pretty sure they do 100 mm as well. Be warned, it aint cheap.
But it is so versatile that you will only ever need to buy it once. i have re modelled my system several times as new equipment is added, and you can re use lengths infinitely.

I have seen it sold singly at yandles.

63mm is guttering down pipe size so all fittings should be compatible size wise. It's only the connection to the device & vacuum that may need adapting slightly.

technium":17vu53j0 said:
Hi

I need some 100mm ducting for my table saw and planer and noticed some dryer hose on screwfix for only £5

http://www.screwfix.com/p/manrose-pvc-f ... 00mm/18232

and was wondering if this would work?

Also I am thinking of getting this Y piece to join both appliances and then put blast gates inline, would this work?
http://www.screwfix.com/p/manrose-circu ... 00mm/23574

thanks in advance

Colin

It kind of works...

https://youtu.be/-bOEiHmYsD8?t=582

But... if you have a powerful, high pressure dust collector you will want something better.

Back