Cheap tools

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bosshogg

Established Member
Reaction score
Today, 15/08/11, Lidl has Monday madness on, mostly to do with tools, some car mechanics, some workshop tools. There is a Powerfix sliding, compound mitre saw - packs of three 8 1/2"ish carbide tip circular saw blades @ under a tenner etc...bosshogg :)
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
Albert Einstein (hammer)

I bought the mitre saw last time they were being offered (a year or so ago) - looks like the same model, although I believe I paid a little less, if I remember correctly.

Very heavy. Powerful. A couple of problems with design & construction.
a) The face of the fence wasn't flat, but slightly bowed along its length. There's a bit of adjustment on the fence, so you can get it exactly 90 degrees to the blade - I couldn't understand at first why when I got the blade squared on the left, it wasn't squared on the right. The fence casting can be detached, so I was able to flatten it with some effort with abrasive sheet on glass & diamond stone. Or you could fit your own false fence. Don't know if it was a one-off problem just with my purchase, or if they all have the problem.
b) The right-hand clamp isn't very useful, as for most cuts it fouls the great lump of a motor sticking out on the right side. I made a low-profile version for those few occasions when I absolutely must clamp on that side only.
c) The laser isn't worth using. It only gives an approximate idea of where the cut will be, and it's fixed so low down, under the sliding carriage, that the line often doesn't show at the front of the workpiece (being mostly obscured by the workpiece itself).
d) Supplied blade could be better.

I believe (c) and (d) are quite common issues with stuff in this price range. The good news is that it's very robustly made, heavy and stable. Nothing sophisticated, but the slide action is accurate and smooth. Like many Lidl tool, I reckon it's good value for money, and definitely a cut above what you can buy in the DIY sheds for the same money (or even a bit more).

Oops, sorry lads it's next for the Monday madness. Apart from the sliding bevel saw there is a largish not slip mat, ratchet cramps (I use them for wrap around cramps) galvanised steel knock together, sand alone shelving system, bib & brace overalls, two kinds of glue...the list goes on. Lidl's have an automatic one year, no quibble guarantee for by the one two and sometimes three year manufacturers warranty on some of their stuff, to date I haven't found any of their stuff duff...bosshogg :)
I never teach my pupils. I only attempt to provide the conditions in which they can learn.
Albert Einstein (hammer)

Dammit, I went for a look in our local Lidl yesterday but some of this stuff doesn't start till next Monday. The item I'm interested in is this:

UK_64197_01_b.jpg

Toolbox with Accessories - 1400 Pieces
£ 8.99

Various practical compartments with a wide range of accessories, including nails, screws, wall plugs, hooks, pins, safety clips and much more
With 5 pull-out trays, practical click-closure and carry handle
Size approx. (cm): 19 x 19 x 11.6
2 year manufacturer’s warranty

I've slowly built up a huge collection of screws, nails, bolts etc. but I reckon this'll still be worth a look.

Back