Cheap Air Compressor

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wizer

Established Member
Reaction score
Wish I'd seen this last week:

http://www.lawson-his.co.uk/scripts/det ... oduct=2031

ranger65.jpg

# (New model replaces Ranger 60A.)
# Semi-Professional oil-free air compressor
# 6.3cfm displacement. 50 litre receiver.
# 116psi/8bar maximum air pressure, controllable with fitted regulator.
# Robust 230v, 1.5HP motor.
# Fully automatic stop/start control
# With wheels and handle for easy movement.

£109.95 (£129.19 inc VAT)

Why?
Yours has a higher FAD, is oil lubricated so it will last longer, is from a company whose customer service is second to none, and is cheaper. Would you really swap all that for another 25l of stored air and the problem of having a bigger machine to find a home for?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to just shoot you down in flames for the sake of it. I make a point of following compressor related threads because I've been thinking of flogging my virtually unused Fuji Q3 spray setup for some time now, with a view to replacing it with the exact machine you have. I'm interested in any alternatives and the reasoning behind them as I've always considered the AWC25HP to be - on paper at least - a pretty near perfect small compressor.

MarkW":1qarx99k said:
I'm not trying to just shoot you down in flames

How dare you flame me! :wink:

I think I homed in on the double capacity, but also the fact it was oil-free. From what I undersand the oil-free units are quieter. The AW25HP is really ver loud, even if it only runs for about 8mins.

But anyhoo I have my compressor now and i'm happy.

Mark: do you use the spraying kit much? I'm not sure the AW25HP is that good for spraying?

WiZeR":3gunngn8 said:
Mark: do you use the spraying kit much? I'm not sure the AW25HP is that good for spraying?

Hardly at all, which is why I'm going to get rid, I just don't have a practical space. Since we're on the subject, if anyone want's to make me an offer.............

As far as yours is concerned, from what I understand it's not really suitable for more than touch up spraying. You need more output and a bigger tank like this (the customer reviews are interesting particularly regarding noise).

WiZer did you sort out the leak or was it a duff unit?

Regards Tom

It is surprising that the 3hp version is quiet? That was the model i'd asked for but my Dad got worried about the 16amp problem.

Oh well, as I say i'm happy with it now.

WiZer, its because the V configuration is more balanced,

Regards Tom

WiZeR":3jrx1k8l said:
It is surprising that the 3hp version is quiet? That was the model i'd asked for but my Dad got worried about the 16amp problem.

Oh well, as I say i'm happy with it now.

If you see my posts on the AW30HP - it seems the 16A problem is actually a batch of faulty compressors with dodgy unloading valves (IIRC - Digit's the expert).

As mentioned previously I replaced the AW30HP with the SIP equivalent and no problems at all with a 13A fuse whether the tank is full or not or even after a very cold night. Axminster had told me the 13A fuses going was due to the electricity dist in my part of the country.

By the way Mark - I bought mine for spraying and it works a treat (I'm new to spraying but it keeps up ok with 2 HVLP guns I have. (As would the Axminster if you can get one which works on 13A fuses).

Cheers

Gidon

I agree as I have the same type of compressor as the 3HP Axminster one although it is badged by Sealey. I did have some problems with it at first not building up pressure but got it sorted under warranty. It is quiet for such a large compressor and I run mine on a 13AMP plug and fuse without any problem. Great machine for spraying too. :wink:

just to rave about the fuji q3 mine has been in almost daily use for several years and is simply superb never needs stripping down only running thinners through.

Back