Charnwood W629 10'' Cast Iron Table Saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

airwave

Reaction score
Hello all. I am thinking of buying this table saw and was wondering if anyone here who has one can discuss some of their thoughts on it. Are you happy with it? what don't you like?

I've been to a retailer and have seen the 619 in person, which seems like a solid bit of kit. There are a few cheap looking 'plasticy' pieces like the knobs and the blade guard, but they're easy to change. I'm more concerned about the things I can't change.

I really like the idea of the sliding carriage, seems like it's going to be very useful, and will hopefully be able to replace my mitre saw (which takes up a lot of room)

I've seen some people comment that they dont like the fence? the 619 I played with seemed to have a solid fence. Many people don't seem to like the turn knob style lock as opposed to clamp down lock, but I think the turning knob is easier to use as it less likely to move when you clamp down.

How easy is it to setup the accuracy of this saw? such as aligning the table to the blade? is it done from the top or do you have to take it all apart off the base?
How do you clean it out of all the dust build up? is there a door on the back?
What is the dust colleciton like?
Does the sliding carriage hold up over time? has it become sloppy?
How do you find the 15/19mm mitre slot issue? Not being able to use 3rd party 19mm jigs? I'm thinking that I won't actually use the mitre gauge much as the sliding carriage does the same thing.
How loud is it compared to your average mitre saw? (when not cutting)

I have the bigger version but i think the sliding table is the same. It's ok once fettled, as u said some of the levers and nuts & bolts are not really up to the job but easily replaced. As to replacing your mitre saw, depends what you are cutting? If you want to square the end of a long piece of wood 2 metres+ then the sliding table isn't much use unless you set up a load of roller stands etc, this will be much easier with your mitre saw.
Dust collection is useless, it just piles up inside and has to be hoovered out periodically.
The pressed steel extensions were useless on mine but have been replaced with a router table so not an issue for me.
Haven't really used the mitre slots. The fence & sliding take are easily aligned to the blade, I did it once when I got the saw and the fence has not moved although I've had to tweak the slider a couple of times.
If I was buying again I would look for a second hand sedgewick or wadkin or similar, which could be had for the same money (or less).

Woodmonkey":qtynq08b said:
I have the bigger version but i think the sliding table is the same. It's ok once fettled, as u said some of the levers and nuts & bolts are not really up to the job but easily replaced. As to replacing your mitre saw, depends what you are cutting? If you want to square the end of a long piece of wood 2 metres+ then the sliding table isn't much use unless you set up a load of roller stands etc, this will be much easier with your mitre saw.
Dust collection is useless, it just piles up inside and has to be hoovered out periodically.
The pressed steel extensions were useless on mine but have been replaced with a router table so not an issue for me.
Haven't really used the mitre slots. The fence & sliding take are easily aligned to the blade, I did it once when I got the saw and the fence has not moved although I've had to tweak the slider a couple of times.
If I was buying again I would look for a second hand sedgewick or wadkin or similar, which could be had for the same money (or less).

Thanks!

How do you clean out the dust? is there a door or something on the base? and what was wrong with the extensions?

The extensions were banana shaped. There's a panel on the side you unscrew to get underneath.

I have a Scheppach TS 250 with sliding carriage and side extension table, and I am really glad I bought it. It cost me £630 second hand and I think it was well worth it. So just in case you are thinking of a used model, you might want to give Scheppach some consideration. Mine is the alloy table version, the newer ones are cast iron. One thing about mine is there is no blade insert in the table, just a slot machined into the alloy. Doesn't worry me but if you are into dado heads or zero clearance inserts then could be a problem. I don't have any experience with other makes so can't offer a comparison.

Also I agree the table saw does not replace the mitre saw, even though the mitre saw is the dustiest machine in my shed.
K

Charnwood stuff isn't all bad and often very similar, if not identical, to other branded machines (which people often seem to hold in higher regard). For instance:

w619_new_aug16.jpg
s-l500.jpg

I have the older Charnwood W650 - it's OK but not great. The fence mechanism is not very user friendly and the supplied extrusion is not even square. I can't remember the last time I used the sliding table, having made sleds for small crosscuts and taper cuts. I agree that dust collection is poor, with most of the sawdust collecting in the slot where the height winder sits. They also do a good (and cheap) 12" compound mitre saw, also available under different brands, which produced great cut quality and accuracy, but with non-existent dust collection.

My biggest gripe was after-sales support. Some parts were missing on delivery, like a screw which had probably worked itself loose. When I told them about it, and how I had used my own nut and bolt, they just said something along the lines of 'that's a shame, but glad you got it fixed'.

Make sure you know exactly what you are getting, and that it will meet your needs, or you might end up buying twice - like I am planning to do.

Regarding after sales support; was this Charnwood HQ or an agent.

The reason I ask is a had a bit of a disagreement with R O Bob of this parish, about the perception of Charnwood.

I bought a "shop soiled" cheapo TS from them and then had what turned out to be an obsure problem; Charnwood could not have been more helpful.

I bought w650 table saw and i have to say that its the biggest waste of money. First off, the fence constantly needs fiddling with. It can be square one minute and 2mm out the next cut. The sliding carriage is again so hit missy in regards square. The cast iron table was at least 2mm out to the blade. That was straight out of the box!
The dust collection is absolutely rubbish, as some have already indicated. The throat plate was uneven and needed shimmed at the back of it.
To be honest i would gladly drop this table saw in the Tyne river and wouldn't bat an eyelid. Just wished i had gone for the axminster table saw but decided to go for the w650 due to the added sliding carriage.....biggest mistake!!
If you think I'm giving this saw a bad name then by all means purchase it at your own peril...its basically c@@p!!!!

Latest posts

Back