Changing wiring on switch from 380V to 240V Fobco

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisW

Reaction score
Hi there,

I have a Fobco drill and have placed on a 240V single phase motor, the original switch operates on 380V but I am aware that this can be wired in such a way as to operate off of 240V. Ok, I followed some instructions but need confirmation as to whether this is correct, only due to safety.

I have added Photographs of the said switch and the advice was:
Couple mains Live to 1 and A to motor.
Couple mains Neutral to 2 and B to a link wire which is then coupled to 3
And take C to the motor

I realise there is pretty much no chance of locating a single phase switch but I really wanted to keep it all original and would appreciate any thoughts anyone may have.

fobco switch 001.JPG

fobco switch 002.JPG

Attachments

• fobco switch 001.JPG
    fobco switch 001.JPG
    86.9 KB · Views: 704
  • fobco switch 002.JPG
    fobco switch 002.JPG
    85.1 KB · Views: 704
It could be traced out with a multimeter. All you need are two through connections that dont cross when the switch is operated.
But to be honest, I would put that switch back in unconnected, and wire an NVR safety switch to the motor somewhere else, even if its at the wall.

I am a convert to NVR switches, you cant get any safer way of connecting a motor.

My expectation is this is just a three pole switch. Moving the switch opens or closes the circuit between 1-A 2-B 3-C. I would check this expectation with a multimeter or a battery, bulb and a couple of wires. Also checking no faults through the switchbody etc. If this understanding is correct I don't see the need to use 3-c, just wire live and neutral across 1-a and 2-b.

F.

Back