Challenge Accepted - Gnarly Root

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What little obvious grain I found didn't turn like any pine I've ever used before. Saying that, it was mostly a tangle of knots & burrs. Could be hawthorn, I really don't know.

I started roughing out 'Son of Gnarly Root' (the other half) earlier. it's even more scary than the first half. :-D

2 hours turning = 1:59 turning air and 1 minute turning bark with this thing.

Bm101":gp05ckrd said:
NazNomad":gp05ckrd said:
OH loves it but all I've done this morning is find fault with it. :-(

Fwiw Naz. You made a lovely bowl from landfill. If you weren't your own harshest critic you'd never improve. I think you did a great job personally. I really like it too.

Perhaps it's true you can't make a silk purse from a pug's ear. Pugs have tiny ears after all. (Generally a rubbish dog really in the dog scheme of things.). I never really understood that expression tbh. You'd never fit your all your change in one anyway. So why bother. Meanwhile you could fit a load of fruit in that bowl. And your OH loves it.
Win win. Your OH thinks you're a God among woodworkers, your kitchen gets a free fruit storage facility and you get a tiny reminder each time you see it that there's always another step to take on the road to turning enlightenment and a state of nirvana.
:D

If the pugs ear thing was humour, forgive me, it was too subtle. But in the interests of veracity the saying is about a PIG's ear. I can certainly put all my change in a pigs ear (and most of my folding stuff too).

Its a beautiful piece of wood and you have done great job with it. Just waiting to see how the other piece turns out. Well turned =D> =D>

take care
Don W

sunnybob":1cpd0zeg said:
Bm101":1cpd0zeg said:
NazNomad":1cpd0zeg said:
OH loves it but all I've done this morning is find fault with it. :-(

Fwiw Naz. You made a lovely bowl from landfill. If you weren't your own harshest critic you'd never improve. I think you did a great job personally. I really like it too.

Perhaps it's true you can't make a silk purse from a pug's ear. Pugs have tiny ears after all. (Generally a rubbish dog really in the dog scheme of things.). I never really understood that expression tbh. You'd never fit your all your change in one anyway. So why bother. Meanwhile you could fit a load of fruit in that bowl. And your OH loves it.
Win win. Your OH thinks you're a God among woodworkers, your kitchen gets a free fruit storage facility and you get a tiny reminder each time you see it that there's always another step to take on the road to turning enlightenment and a state of nirvana.
:D

If the pugs ear thing was humour, forgive me, it was too subtle. But in the interests of veracity the saying is about a PIG's ear. I can certainly put all my change in a pigs ear (and most of my folding stuff too).
LOL. :D Sorry Bob. Just my sense of humour mate. I apologise. I can wander off the track a bit sometimes. :oops: I always knew the saying as a sow's ear. The assonance and all that. But yeh you're right. :wink:
And for clarity I've invested money into pigs ears many times too. It seems to sum up most of my hobby time tbh. 8) Pugs are rubish dogs though. I stand by that with genuine apologies to anyone unfortunate enough not to have a proper dog. It's not personal. I'm sure they are crackers. Just not my thing.
Back on track. Lovely bowl. :D

You were too good. I was 99.8% sure you knew it, but that 0.2 would have kept me up at night.

I also share your opinion of small dogs. In fact, to be honest, thats my opinion of all dogs, but hey, now that 99.8% of the people here hate me, us 0.2% can have a rare old time.

Lol. It's just pugs. And French bulldogs. And King Charles spaniels. Love a Jack Russel. Apologies to any proud owners. I'm not right just an opinion. Lovely bowl though. ;)

My friend has an elderly Pug, I might put my name down for some new 'wallet blanks'.

Nothing wrong with being a harsh critic of your own work. You have already pointed out about you tool work inside other than that a great job and a great exercise in trying something new.

In the photo below the piece on the left stood up is hawthorne the bark on yours looks different.

DSCF6435_zps5irw1gc0.jpg

You have to remember when trying to id by bark that mature bark looks different to younger bark and root balls look different again.

Hawthorn is pretty hard and root balls are pretty tough so a hawthorn root ball would be blunting tools left right and centre.

I think it had been out of the ground a long time too, judging by the weathering where the tree was cut off it, and there wasn't one speck of mud on it anywhere.

I'm still on 'team Beech' at the moment.

Latest posts

Back