chair mistake

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is a nice repair, Setch.

Nothing to loose from trying really given the chair is scrap anyway if you do nothing.

I would worry about it being strong enough anyway given that it wasn't strong enough before it broke. It won't get any stronger after the repair.

Yep - that would be my concern too, but from reading the OP it seems that the leg only failed during an attempt at dismantling the chair - so it has survived normal use up till now. In a way, this is hopeful, since a good glued repair should be stronger than the other area of short grain, and since they were able to survive normal stresses and strain, this suggest that the repair should be OK.

thats a nice repair setch , but with respect a guitar headstock doesnt have to take the weight of a adult sitting on it. (let alone the lever inforced circumstances that occur if someone tips the chair back on two legs)

the problem is that if jezmaster repairs the chair as you suggest, and doesnt advise his mate not to sit on it he could wind up liable if his mate or a third party had an accident as a result.

and while its easy to say "oh his mate wouldnt do that" - he might if the alternative was to have his house repossesed and family made homeless if he couldnt work as a result of a broken back or similar. Its really not worth the risk - so i'd still say either bin the chair , make a new leg, or glue it up and advise the "mate" (in writing) not to sit on it.

Latest posts

Back