Ceramic Waterstones

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PJ

Established Member
Reaction score
There was a bit of talk lately on here about the works sharp 3000, but I still like my setup of buff with pink or white wheel, and then onto a fine diamond stone followed by a rub on a 6000 waterstone. I am not overly happy with the fine diamond stone and started using the King 800 grit waterstone again.
I am now wondering if it would be worth tring the new 1000 and 8000 grit ceramic stones, hopefully reducing the mess and the amount of flatting. Also do any of the non soaking type give good results and feel, or are they just like just like sharpening on a polished tile.
Anybody used them and what brands were good or not so good?
Philip

I use Shapton stones from 500 grit to the amazing half micron 30,000 grit stone, I also use DMT diamond stones in Black to Green grades.

The Shapton stones are the glass backed versions that were designed for A2 steel. They've pretty much replaced my waterstones as there's no need for water storage, they seem to cut a fraction faster (but not as fast as diamond stones), there"s no need for a nagura, they stay flatter quite a bit longer than the King waterstones (I'd flatten the King 800 after about 5 minutes sharpening, but I flatten the Shaptons after about 15 minutes sharpening), and I just like the feel of them. I also like the accessories that Shapton have, from the pond to the stone holders to the dedicated diamond flattening stone, they're all very well thought out and work together very efficiently.

But, and it's a huge but, for 99% of sharpening they don't produce a better result than bog standard King waterstones, but they cost waaaaaay more!

One other thing, the Shaptons don't cut on the side, so if you're trying to sharpen something very nasty that'll beat up your stone then there's no get out of jail free card in the shape of the side of the 800 waterstone!

I use EzeLap 8" x 3" diamond stones. 250, 400, 600 and 1200 followed by an 8000 Ceramic stone from Poland off Ebay. Then the leather strops with jewelers rouge and or Veritas green stick.

I'd get a 12k Chinese waterstone. They're pretty hard and give a good edge and should last forever. You could go further and strop with diamond spray/paste. I wouldn't get the veritas green stick since its grit size could be anything due to the amount of aluminum oxide in it (looks like it should be Cr2O3)

What othe compound would you recomend for a strop? I have seen the Pfiel cream, Flexcut Gold, numerous blocks intended for buffing wheels. I have Autosol and Tormek paste.

Mike Wingate":33htvgxz said:
I have Autosol

Use that on a piece of wood, with a drop of 3-in-1

Woodenstrop.jpg

Works really well. I used to use jewellers rouge on a leather strop but because the leather can compress, it tends to round over the edge slightly. Autosol on a piece of wood gives a similar polish but sharper edges because it doesn't compress.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

I'd use diamond paste/spray either 0.5, 0.25 or 0.1 micron. You could also use Chromium Oxide (0.5 microns)

Apparently some people say that using 0.25 micron diamond paste gives a blade that it too sharp to shave with while others prefer a sharper blade. I'd have to try 0.1 micron diamond spray for the LOLZ (OK the edge won't last long but for paring end grain it could help). I know you can get 0.3 micron sandpaper but I think that it rips too easily and that little bubbles underneath the paper act to round over the edge- I reckon my 12k Chinese stone gives a better edge. Sometimes its not always the grit size but the quality of the sharpening surface. Since wood is fairly incompressible and can be flattened like a stone, use the honing paste on that

I think you'd just rub it with your finger into some wood (planed flat- not sanded as sandpaper grit will embed itself). 100g would last quite a while I'd imagine

Thanks for the replies.
I will look into the Chinese stones. I don't want a better edge really, it's just the mess and flattening with the King stones that I would like to reduce, but I take your point that it is a lot of money for not much improvement.

Many thanks

Philip

Latest posts

Back