Center Steady

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

braveheart

Established Member
Reaction score
:) Hi everyone, Braveheart here, can anyone help, I would like to find a design for a center steady that can be made / modified to fit onto the twin bars, 1.75" diam bars, of a old Coronet lathe. I want to be able to try to make larger pots and vases and realise the need for some more safety and stability as I have watched in real time one project in flight. :roll: :roll:

Here is mine in use.

002-1.jpg

028.jpg

001-1.jpg

Took about an hour to make. If you want I will pm details later.

This is the one I made for my lathe, Twin bars, But mine has square bars.
Easy to modify.
Two pieces of 18mm ply glued together, some MDF with some Oak for reinforcement, works well.

John. B

John. B":1s2ub869 said:
This is the one I made for my lathe, Twin bars, But mine has square bars.
Easy to modify.
Two pieces of 18mm ply glued together, some MDF with some Oak for reinforcement, works well.

John. B

Hi John
remember me asking a few Qs about your steady a while back?
Not got around to making one yet but I will be needing too soon as i am about to undertake a lot of small spindles.
I have some mdf around 34mm thick for the ring. What is the od/id of your steady?
Martyn

Martyn,
just having a quick look at the forum before I nip off to bed.
I'll measure it up and post the details tomorrow.

John. B

Morning Martyn,
I've just been out to measure up the steady.
The ring is two pieces ply 18mm glued together O/D 11" - I/D 8"
The base is made from 18mm MDF 140mmx130mm reinforced with a piece of Sapele.
The steel bars came from B&Q 1/2" square marked up ground out with a small angle grinder then finished with a file, the wheels came from a burned out B&D powerfile.
For replacing the wheels I called B&D and the guy said no problem just tell me the model Number and I'll send you some. (He didn't quote a price.)
Best of luck on the build. (incidently it's noisy, they aren't roller bearings)

John. B

:D :D :idea: As if there is a need to say it, " Ask and ye shall find ". My thanks to all for their input and helping me along the way to a home made center steady.

Hi Martyn

I'm in the process of building a steady and have bought some bearings off ebay for the wheels. there are plenty to choose from. The ones I got cost about £5 for 4. I'm going to use heatshrink to make a thin tyre.

Regards,

Mike C

mikec":3ohmkaxq said:
Hi Martyn

I'm in the process of building a steady and have bought some bearings off ebay for the wheels. there are plenty to choose from. The ones I got cost about £5 for 4. I'm going to use heatshrink to make a thin tyre.

Regards,

Mike C

Hi Mike,
Thanks for that, could you send a link to the ones you found?
Did'nt get to making one on Sunday, busy doing family stuff, so next week now. If I get on and get the bearings though I will have most of whats needed ready to go.
Martyn

I got a set of 8 in-line skate wheels off FreeCycle for.... £0.00

Hi Martyn,

I got mine from E.B.R.Bearing Supplies, an EBay Seller.

Mine were 12 mm (centre bore) by 28mm by 8mm.

You can use any size bore from 6 - 12mm for convenience then select a suitable outside diameter.

Search Ebay for "bearings" and you will get all sorts come up.

Hope this helps,

Mike C

Back