Celebrity required

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dovetaildave

Established Member
Reaction score
My college is looking at closing down my C&G Level 1&2 classes.

It would be a real shame to see these classes disappear.
As far as I can tell, we are the last college to offer this subject in central London, albeit to the "Supported learning" department at the moment.

I have asked to offer it to mature students but to no avail so far.

We need to raise our profile with senior management.
Does anyone know a celebrity who would come and accept a cheque for £150 (on behalf of a charity of their choice?), pose for photos and say a few words as to why woodwork and furniture making is so necessary, and these 16-24 year olds will have a trade/skill.

Regards,
Dave

don't know if they'd come but harrison ford and kevin costner used to be joiners also phillip pullman, sandi taskvig, martin clunes keen amatuers apparently

I would look for someone like Kevin McCloud. Someone with a working knowledge of craft skills and a high public profile from architecture/design TV shows
Matt

Given that Government is loudly talking about encouraging apprenticeships I would write to both Osborne and the local MP saying how important it is to maintain the education aspect.

Closures of courses normally stem from financial pressures. Are you getting enough students for it to be viable and are the costs of acolytes, teachers, materials, insurance etc a killer blow. Schools don't normally close high demand courses - so you must surely also address the fundamentals.

With respect £150 for a charity may not be a big enough incentive to get anyone that generally well known, though I did see a report of Martin Clunes picking up £850 for a horse related charity (apparently he likes horses as well as wood). Maybe somebody with a more direct connection, McCloud would be excellent but maybe a challenge so what about somebody from DIY SOS or even is Tommy Walsh still around?

Good luck with your efforts,
Terry.

Back